Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sturoc Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Cannot see ext hdd
    Using a Seagate Ext HDD usb w/ W2K PC put abunch of files on it. Then shut down then Plugged ext hdd into XP PC to transfer files, worked fine .
    When plugged back into W2K PC It doesn't show up anywhere Device mang, add remove/ wizard.
    Do not find it at all.
    Was told this swapping works no problem between 2 pc's running different windows OS.
    Any Ideas?
    Thanks
    Stu

PII W2K w/ pci usb 2.0 4 port card
    Seagate Ext USB HDD
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 9, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Try plugging another USB device in the usb card, just to confirm its not a usb problem.

I use an external hard drive for both 2000 and XP, and never ran into a problem.

Is the drive formatted as NTFS? Did you format using Windows 2000?

XP uses NTFS V3.1, Windows 2000 uses NTFS v3.0.

I'm wondering if this could cause the problem. I know Windows 2000 has an "on-disk format" update which updates NFTS to 3.0 automatically. Not sure if XP does this.

In my case, I had formatted my external drive in Windows XP, so it has the NTFS V3.1, which is working fine with Windows 2000.

Plug the drive back into the XP PC. Open a command prompt, run "cmd.exe" at the run prompt.

In the DOS window, type: fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo driveletter:, where driveletter is the assigned letter of the usb drive. What is the version ?
    sturoc Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 08:20 PM
    Thanks for the reply,
    I plugged the ext drive into the old usb 1.0 on the mb and works fine in W2K PC then cked w. XPpc and it's running fine.
    Drive was formatted (first used) w/ W2K PC .
    Something happened with the USB c 2.0 pci card I think as all is good elseware.
    It was a cheapo card so maybe the conn arced when hot swapped then passed onto the PC bd graveyard.
    Thanks
    Stu

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Only 50% Of HDD Can Be Used [ 8 Answers ]

So I reformatted, using a SP1 disc (Windows Home Edition, SP1). Question is, it only allows me to use 125 GB or so of the 233 available. What gives? I went to look at my disc management and this is what it shows: http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2348/250gbev3.jpg I'm just taking a few...

Fuel problems on a 95 ford f150 xlt ext.cab pickup with a5.0 motor automatic trans 4x [ 1 Answers ]

I have a ford f 150 I fill the tank up drive sensibly and get 136 miles to a full tank of gas I know this is not normal it does not hesitate sputter or stall check engine light is not on what could be the problem please help

Removing hdd [ 1 Answers ]

Any info on removing/replacing hdd on Averatec 3250 laptop?

Ext conversion [ 4 Answers ]

How do I convert ctg files to jpg filrs?

Hdd crash [ 3 Answers ]

Hi pals One of my hdd has crashed .so is that all the data in the hdd is lost? How can we retrive any important info from tat ? Is there any thing we can do? Is the hdd completely gone or can any one repair it?

View more questions Search