Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr_Calculus Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2005, 08:03 PM
    Can't use Scandisk! Help!
    I'm having trouble with my hard drive. It works fine, except for one problem. I want to defrag my hard drive but it refuses to do it. I tried scandisk and it doesn't like that either. The error message that pops up says that a "disk utility has locked this drive," which is confusing because I don't have any disk utilities running! How do I fix this thing?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2005, 03:12 AM
    First thing to try is to reboot into Safe Mode and try defragging your drive from there.

You've probably got some kind of program running in the background accessing your hard drive. If you have Win 95/98/ME, go Start >> Run and type "MSConfig" and press enter. Check the startup section (can't remember exactly what it's called) and remove any programs that you think could be causing the problem. If using Win 2000/XP, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to get the task manager (will have to click a button for it on 2000). In the processes tab, try closing anything that you think may be causing the problem. Then try again.

I'll add some programs that help monitor startup programs/background tasks later but I can't think of any at the moment.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2005, 04:46 AM
    Scandisk
    Hi,
    I also use Win98SE, and it sounds like you do, too.
    Here is a list of Maintenance steps; which keep my computer running smoothly.

Follow them, and your scandisk should then run OK. Do the scanreg /fix first.

Registry Repair should be done whenever there are problems:

To Repair the Registery:
    Turn off the computer; or reboot; then immediately press F8, (or, could be F5) located on top of the keyboard. Keep it press down until an options window comes up, then release it.
    (If F8 or F5 doesn't work, then re-boot, and immediately press down the CTRL key, hold down until it comes up to the options screen).
    Use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select "Command Prompt Only".
    Press Enter
    You will now see C:>
    Type in SCANREG /FIX (there is a space between the G and the / ).
    You will now see C:>SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    This will take about 5 minutes or so.
    When finished, press Enter for OK.
    Manually, turn off the computer, wait a few seconds, the turn it back on.
    If you don't have the "Command Prompt Only" option, then re-boot the computer normally.
    Go to Start/ShutDown, then choose "restart in ms-dos mode".
    It will come up to C:\windows.
    Type in CD C:\
    It will look like C:>windows CD C:\
    Press Enter.
    It will then be at the C:> prompt.
    Then type in SCANREG /FIX
    Press Enter
    When it returns to the C:> prompt, then manually turn off the computer, and turn it back on.

Win98/98SE Regular Maintenance
    All of these should be run whenever Win98/98SE starts giving problems. It will keep the computer running smoothly.

Before doing any of the following; turn off wallpaper and screensavers before re-starting or re-booting the computer.

Safe Mode is best where indicated, because most programs are not running meaning their files are closed, or not in use. This allows them to be scanned much better, repaired, or defragged better.

1. Scandisk
    Start in Safe Mode by:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter
    After it boots to Safe Mode, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools, and click on Scandisk.
    (It is faster if set on "Standard", the "Thorough" usually is not needed and takes a long, long time).
    Click on "Start" and let it run until finished.

2. Defrag
    When Scandisk is finished, click on "Close".
    Now, go back to the same place, but this time, click on "Defrag".
    Click on OK, and wait until it finishes (might take 1 hour if not done within a month).
    After it finishes, Click on OK or whatever.
    Then, re-boot.

The following Boot Disk has to be done only one time.

Also, a "must have" is a Boot Disk, for Win98/98SE. One never knows when the computer might not load windows and go to the desktop... it does happen.

Here are steps to make one:

Insert the Win98/98SE CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    Go to Start/Programs/Windows Explorer
    Double click on D:/ , if that is your CD-ROM drive letter.
    Find and open the folder; Tools/Mtsutil/Fat32ebd (stands for Emergency Boot Disk)
    Double click on the file Fat32ebd.exe and follow the instructions to create the Boot Disk.
    Then remove the CD from the CD-ROM.

Now, we must test the Boot Disk to see if it works.
    Shut down the computer; then turn it back on with the Boot Disk still in the computer.
    When a screen comes up, use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to select "Boot with CD-ROM support". Then press Enter.
    It will show some things about the computer, and then come up to the A:> prompt.
    Now, insert a CD (any will do) into the CD-ROM.
    Wait until it "spins" and the light goes off.
    Now, at the A:> prompt, type in DIR D:
    It will now look like A:>DIR D:
    It should show all the files on the CD.
    If so, the Boot Disk is good. If NOT, repeat all the above.
    If it's good, then remove the CD, manually turn off the computer, and remove the Boot Disk. Turn on the computer and it's ready to go.

Here are some "tweaks" for Win98/98SE that really work well.

Win98SE Tweaks for better performance
    http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=170

To extract files: here are steps:
    Extract the following from c/cabs/cab53 and cab54.
    (Right click on a Cab, then left click on View).
    To extract a file then seen, Right click on the file,
    Then Left click on Extract.
    Vcomm.vxd
    Vdmad.vxd
    Configmg.vxd
    Vdd.vxd
    Vmouse.vxd
    Ntkern.vxd
    Vflat.vxd
    Extract to:
    c/windows/system; and also to:
    c/windows/system/vmm32.

Win98SE USB Updates:
    http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

Also, for Win98/98SE; any ONE of the following programs WILL, normally, cause problems:
    1. Microsoft's DirectX 9.0c
    2. Sun Java; any versions, such as j2re 1.4.1 or 1.4.2. (use the Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab, under the heading "Java VM", the only check mark should be by "JIT compiler for virtual machine.....".
    3. Microsoft's Internet Explorer & Outlook Express Cumulative Security Patches from Windows Update.

If you don't already have the above listing, please print them out for future reference.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Feb 26, 2005, 08:54 PM
    Try these
    The defrag program that comes with Winxp is Diskeeper lite,

It does not do a complete job.

Get eithr of these 3
    1. Diskpeeper Pro
    2. O&O defrag
    3. Perfectdisk

You can download free demos, try one and see if it works for you.

:eek:

Mar 8, 2005, 10:29 PM
    Trying things still
    Well, I've tried booting in safemode and all that good stuff. I'm running ME, and I know I should probably upgrade my system, but I don't understand why something would lock my hard drive... It appears that everything else works: I can install programs, save files, open files, etc. so my HD isn't actually "locked", the programs just seem to think it is. I don't seem to be able to boot in DOS, and there are some weird system registry devices running in the background. One of these background processes is part of System Restore, which might be causing the problem. If anyone has any other ideas, fire away. Thanks.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2005, 12:08 AM
    Seems fredg jumped the gun and thought it was 98, well ME is not a good OS, practically its bad. Can you run a spyware detection program/remover. If not can you even run system restore or not.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2005, 12:18 AM
    Me or 98
    Hi,
    The steps I gave you also work for ME.
    Try them.

Best wishes,
    fredg
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2005, 01:34 AM
    Yes they should work, but I would like to know can you run a good av detector/ remover and spyware program. If you can that'll eliminate the biggy's
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 9, 2005, 06:42 AM
    The following article from the Microsoft Knowledge base might help youi:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;286810
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Mar 9, 2005, 08:24 AM
    Sorry
    I am sorry, I can't offer anymore help, I work on computers for people in my spare time and I have seen WinME based systems do a lot of odd things, that are sometimes unexplainable, my question is, if why ou, yourself realizes you should update the OS, then why stick with it and continue to fight the problems.

Microsoft officially stopped supporting this OS quite awhile back, I know I would call them for help sometimes when I was working on someone's computer, their answer, either goback to 98SE or move up.

You can find Win98SE cheaply on Amazon.com or Ebay, if you have an older system, if you have put together a faster system with a lot of memory, then you can find WinXP at a pretty good price also on Amazon or Ebay.

If as some people do, you say, you still can't afford that, well then save, if it's that important to you , to have a solid running computer and you obviously can afford an internet connection and a computer and you are taking time to seek help, so it must be important for you, then save or charge the money, either way, change Operating Systems, your just beating your head against the wall on this one, it really is useless to try and fix something that even if a fix was found, WinME would only find you another problem.

IF you know a college student, then they can buy a copy of Windows for under $10 at their college store for you.

Borrow a copy, find a copy, if you still say you can't afford it, then contact me, I have a couple of old original Win98se copies laying around here somewhere, I will sell you for $10.

The time you waste to seek help for a dead OS, you could be using to enjoy the net and your computer, now take these suggestions and run with them.

I have learned ffrom fixing others computers, that sometimes you must literraly take control and tell them, stop trying to ride that dead horse and move on.

My suggestion to everyone in these forums is to suggest to anyone seeking help with ME to tell the same thing, get rid of it and stop wasting your time and others time to fix a problem with it, fixing one problem usually breeds more in ME, that's why it's the worst OS ever made.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2005, 12:40 PM
    Yes good advice, 98se may be out of date, and it may be very... old but it was a good OS no doubt, had its quirks but was good. Matter of fact I see school systems using 98 on brand new computers and they are practically lightning fast! ME was total crap, 2000 won't all it was hyped to be but 98 was good and xp in ease of use and more dependability is great if you go that way.

Just sounds like ME just decided to give you a run for the money this time
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2005, 05:13 PM
    Scandisk HELP Please!
    I too am having trouble with scandisk and running ME.

When it gets to the scandisk screen, the first bar appears, then 2 more follow to make 3. After the 3rd appears, it restarts. I have let this run for hours, but it just keeps doing it.

Please Help? :confused:

Mar 17, 2005, 05:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I too am having trouble with scandisk and running ME.

When it gets to the scandisk screen, the first bar appears, then 2 more follow to make 3. After the 3rd appears, it restarts. I have let this run for hours, but it just keeps doing it.

Please Help? :confused:
    Did you try running it from Safe Mode as suggested earlier?
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2005, 05:52 PM
    Yes try it in safemode. Or hit ctrl, alt, del. And close off all but explorer if you can.
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2005, 04:27 AM
    You I tried safe mmode and it didn't help.
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2005, 04:59 AM
    ME Scandisk
    Hi,
    I am sorry I "jumped the gun" on giving you Maintenance Steps for 98/98SE; but as I mentioned, they will also work with ME.

Try this to run Scandisk with ME:

Gain access to a Command Prompt in Windows ME this way:
    Shut down the computer, place the Windows ME start up floppy disk in the floppy drive.
    Turn on the computer.
    When the menu appears choose "Minimum Boot".
    Press Enter. When the command prompt appears, type "scandisk", without quotes.
    It will look like C:>scandisk
    Press Enter.
    It should then start running scandisk. Hopefuly will finish it.
    After it is done, select the Exit.
    Press Enter, then it will go back to C:>
    Turn off the computer, then turn it back on.
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Mar 18, 2005, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    ya i tried safe mmode and it didnt help.
    Try from a command prompt then. Try Fred's instructions on getting toa Command prompt with Win ME. See if that helps.

Also are there any error messages you get?

Mar 18, 2005, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    I am sorry I "jumped the gun" on giving you Maintenance Steps for 98/98SE; but as I mentioned, they will also work with ME.

fredg
    Fred,
    There was no need for you to apologize. The OS wasn't mentioned, but since SCANDISK is only available on Win 9x and since your instructions are applicable to all Win 9x versions, they were appropriate.

However, I respectfully suggest that you review the whole thread before answering. The person who started this thread (Dr Calculas) has not come back with comments. The thread was revived by dts11 with the same problem. The point being that you were replying to the wrong person. Good advice though.

Mar 25, 2005, 08:47 PM
    Problem fixed
    Well, my problem finally got fixed, although I'm going off to college in a few months, so I'll be leaving future problems to siblings to quarrel over, but I know about dts11's problem. Usually, the bars keep resetting because there is some sort of program that is accessing the HD while it is being scanned. Safe Mode should fix the problem, but in normal boot, you should remember to turn off any AVs and things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search