Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buzygal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2014, 09:29 AM
    Fixed Asset
    I have a piece of property and it's purchase price was $550,000. I recorded it as a fixed asset within the business's journal with a credit for the Purchase Price and a debit for Loans from Shareholders.

I also have a note on the property for $350,00 which I have recorded as a decrease to the value of the property and an increase to the property loan.

Now I am trying to figure out how to record the payments made on the property. Some, of course, go to equity which would increase the property asset and some go to Interest expense.

I can't seem to get the fixed asset value to go up while the long term liability goes down. What am I doing wrong?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2014, 10:28 AM
    When you purchased the asset the journal entry should have been:
    Debit the Asset(Plant, Property, and Equipment) Account C
    Credit to Cash for the amount of cash paid
    Credit Notes Payable for the amount of the loan on the purchase.

When you make a loan payment your journal entry should look like this:
    Debit Notes Payable for the amount of principal being paid
    Debit Interest Expense for the amount of interest being paid
    Credit Cash for the total amount of the payment being made.

The value of the asset should stay the same, which would be the purchase price of the asset. The only time it would increase is when you are upgrading the asset
    buzygal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2014, 11:15 AM
    Thanks for the direction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed asset or Intangible asset [ 4 Answers ]

Is the U.S. Treasury Note. A Fixed or Intangible Assets.

Fixed asset [ 1 Answers ]

The company I worked for bought 5 banners for a total value of the invoice of $1,600. Can we classify these banners as an fixed asset? According to the company policy a fixed asset should have a value over $1000. If several items are bought in bulk and the invoice is over $1000 is also...

JE for fixed asset [ 3 Answers ]

Our company purchased piece of equip for $24,000.00. We put $5000.00 down and received rebate of $4000.00 so loan amt is for $15000.00. How do I record the fixed asset? Thank you.

Fixed Asset [ 1 Answers ]

How do you record in the current year a fixed asset figure not posted in the previous year?

View more questions Search