Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drew8052 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2014, 05:56 PM
    Closed adoption,how to find son,know hospital,b/d/state
    I gave up my son at 10mo.of age to social services,anchorage,Alaska,June 1961. Was 20yr.old.married,husband was acholic and mean to us,only way to keep him safe.n.c
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 21, 2014, 07:34 PM
    I understand that you wish to find your son. However, it is not a good idea to post too much identifying information especially on a site not set-up for reuniting individuals.

So that we do not give you redundant advice, what have you tried so far?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2014, 02:33 AM
    And at times there is no way. You can, I believe post a note in the file, with Birth certificate for the child, if the child ever decides to start looking.

Also, some adopted children do not know they are adopted. They are never told. So if you do ever locate, it is always best to have a third party contact them.. to see if they even want to meet you.

Many adopted children have no desire at all. To contact their birth families
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2014, 08:27 AM
    If it was a closed adoption, you will probably not be able to unseal, but the only way do to do is through a court order. Your first step is to talk the agency you placed him with. They may be able to contact the adoptive parents and let them know you are looking. Your other options are to register with one of the adoption contact sites that allow adoptees and birth parents to register their desire to reunite.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 22, 2014, 10:26 PM
    Alaska has an adoption database. Check there first. https://adoptiondatabase.quickbase.c...mqv?a=q&qid=83

You can also post on reunion websites such as adoption.com and ISRR. The more databases you get yourself into, the easier a reunion will be IF both parties want a reunion. Your child may never have known he was adopted and not know to search. Those cases, I highly recommend that pushing a search NOT be done--you'll disrupt lives and could really hurt someone.

You can also talk with the agency--Lutheran Social Services and Catholic Charities allow you to place a letter into the adoption file with your contact information if your child is searching. Make sure to keep that up to date.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I find my sister who was in a closed adoption [ 2 Answers ]

My mom got pregnet at 16 and she gave my sister up for adoption in a closed adoption and in FL now I'm 23 and want to at least know who my sister is and my mom would like to know but we have no why of finding out if someone could please help me on how to at least find her or an address please let...

How to find out information on a closed adoption? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is Shemeka.I'm trying to help my friend find out some information about her birth mother and or any other family members all she know is that she was put in foster care when she was very little she is now 18 years old and is trying to get her birth certificate but does not know her birth...

How to find a child in a closed adoption [ 2 Answers ]

I did not put up a child for adoption but my sister and brother in law did in 1973. I only became aware of this on Monday 1/25/2010. I feel this need to try to help my sister with this part of her life there is no judgement on my part only a need to help.The adoption was closed and although she has...

Trying to find kids from a closed adoption [ 2 Answers ]

My ex put my twins up for adoption 16 years ago. I was trying to find them. It was a closed adoption.

View more questions Search