Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cch559 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2014, 03:13 PM
    Code enforcement abuse
    Hi, I see all over the internet questions about code enforcement, and the answer is usually to comply. I have a deeper question... do they have the right to violate our civil liberties in enforcing codes? In my county we have 5 districts and 5 county supervisors. The supervisors draft and adopt the codes. They hire people( often poorly trained ) to seek out violations and cite them, this can be civil and misdemeanor criminal. If you want a hearing , it is in front of the board of supervisors or their appointees. They can find you in violation, and you face jeopary both civily and criminally. Where is the due process, where is the uninterested 3rd party.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2014, 03:32 PM
    What codes exactly... Health code, building code... highway code... moral code?

Who determines if someone is or isn't qualified? Are you qualified to make that determination? And what civil liberties are being violated?

We need more specifics, fewer generalities or your post becomes a rant rather than a legitimate question.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 20, 2014, 03:41 PM
    @cch559' more importantly, what country are you from?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2014, 04:07 PM
    First, the Introductions forum is for introducing yourself to the site, not for asking questions. I moved this to a more appropriate forum.

Second, no code enforcements officers (at least in the US) do not have the right to violate civil liberties. But they may have broad powers conferred by legislatures. We would need to know more specifics to help further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harassed By Code Enforcement [ 11 Answers ]

My Mother In Law Recently Passed Away And Her Estate Is In Probate And I And My Son And His Pregnant Girlfriend Live In The House And Code Enforcement Is Constantly On Us Even Though We Are Trying Very Hard To Clean The Place Up The Yard Actually Looks Nice For Once We Have a Car That Was Wrecked...

How do I stop City Code Enforcement Harassment [ 6 Answers ]

I am being harassed by the city code department. There are a few home owners in my neighborhood that have nothing to do but complain and pull their pud. I understand the complaints must be followed up by an enforcement division officer visit. At least by drive by, if not a knock on the door. It is...

Code enforcement officer harassment? [ 3 Answers ]

The code enforcement officer in my town asks us to submit to standards above everyone else simply because we are well off. Our neighbor is constantly complaining to them about us (as they wanted to purchase this property but could not afford it)& we don't have any recourse... There is no home on...

How do I stop harassment from my code enforcement department? [ 4 Answers ]

Last year I had several letters from them. First it was the front yard, I mowed it once a week but that was not good enough. So I mowed it twice a week. Then I received notices about trash on my property. I checked everywhere in the yard. I was told that there were 2 or three mcdonalds cups...

Code Enforcement [ 3 Answers ]

I am a business owner in Miami-Dade County, Florida. Recently the police was on my warehouse asking for all my licenses, after I present the documents he asked by a certificate of occupancy, I can not provide this because I am not the owner of the storage I am renting. I explain I am not the...

View more questions Search