Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2014, 05:22 AM
    He's a cutie! Has a bit of a mischievous look... :-) How did the nail trimming go?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 09:49 AM
    He look like he's thinking, "Being so cute and adorable can be exhausting! I'll give them my bored-kitty look. When's lunch?"

We should pair him up with my Matty. She's all black and very sleet and shiny. They'd look great together, nice contrast. He looks like a real sweetie pie!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 12:16 PM
    Thanks Doula and WG.

He is very mischievous, typical kitten. He's practicing his fierce look lately, arching his back and trying to look tough. It's hilarious. He's too small and cute to pull of fierce, and as soon as you pick him up, even when he's doing his archy back, he's all purrs and love.

At first I thought the ledge around our entire basement would be safe for a while. I have a lot of knicknacks on that ledge, and I thought I'd have time to move them to a safer location. Not so. Kashi has been able to get to the highest points in the basement. He's a little ninja (according to Jared). :)

The nail trimming went very well. I waiting until he was good and tired, ready for a nap, sat him in my lap, and snip snip snip. He didn't care at all. A great start.

Sydney gave him a stuffed moose the other day, from her stuffy collection. It's half his size. He was on the ledge with it, playing, then picked it up as if he were a mommy cat, and decided to try and get down from the ledge with Bob (that's the stuffies name). It was hilarious. It also taught me that I should have my camera with me and ready at all times.

Have to add. My parents alcove area, which isn't easily accessible, has been accessed by Kashi. It's their urn with both their ashes, two pictures on the wall, one of each of them, a few angels around them, two ceramic pictures of flowers, their birth month flowers, and other breakables. Indy and Jasper's ashes are also in that alcove. When I saw Kashi get access to that, I was a bit afraid he'd break something, but I sat back and watched, ready to catch any fallen angels. He was so careful. Didn't knock a thing over. It was almost like he understood that this was a special place, and he was paying his respects. He also made me realize that it's long past time to dust that area. ;)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Jul 6, 2014, 01:56 PM
    Cats get into the strangest places. I've seen Unky jump from a sink to the top of a door several feet away and a few feet up. The smallest foothold and enough speed will get them just about anywhere.
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 02:00 PM
    I can only imagine what Kashi will accomplish when he's full grown. The commercial "Dear Kitten" lied. "You're small, so you can't jump". BULL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Sn91t1V4g

Watch it, it's totally worth it. :)
    Experts

Jul 6, 2014, 03:18 PM
    That's adorable.

Edith's version is more like, "Dear kittens, I gave birth to you. Now, stay out of my way. I hate you."
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 03:35 PM
    I love the part about "vac cume". We have no curtains of invisibility, we have blinds. Poor kitten.

Also, the red dot can't be caught. I'm telling them the truth! :)
    Experts

Jul 6, 2014, 03:48 PM
    Just be aware that cats will destroy blinds, to be able to sit in windows. They'll bend the slats until they break.
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 04:06 PM
    Already been there and done that, sadly. But they were old blinds, so I'm not upset. Now the blinds are up, and Kashi loves to sun bathe and people watch from Syd's 3 windows. We tied the blind ties up so he won't hurt himself. :)

The other day Whiskers, my neighbors cat, walked by. Whiskers loves to visit us, he's an indoor outdoor cat. Kashi will be mainly indoors, outdoors on a leash only. But Kashi was very fascinated when Whiskers walked by. He was more fascinated when our neighbor walked to his car. He was entranced by the outdoor activity. :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 04:31 PM
    Windows and cats. Matty likes big trucks. A nearby street was being redone, so lots of big trucks idled in front of our house. She was thrilled (ears flicking and tail twitching)! Dido likes to wait for the mailman (the outside box is right under the window). It makes her day when the mailman gives her a wave and says, "Hi, little kitty!"

Cats are so funny!
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 05:51 PM
    So far Kashi is just getting used to the outside world through the windows. He's seen the dogs in the backyard through Jared's bedroom window. Syd's window are more interesting, there's the view to the front step, mailbox, everyone coming and going. The second window allows a view of the front yard. The third window allows a partial view of the front yard, but mostly the neighbors house, comings and goings. We're in a cul-de-sac, so a bay window three window view pretty much encompasses the entire neighborhood. He's all set. :)

Outdoor time on a harness and leash will happen as soon as I can find a harness that fits a kitten. Walmart used to have them, but the ones they had available a few days ago, I could fit 4 Kashi's in that on the lowest setting. :(
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 05:59 PM
    We tried a harness and leash on various cats and tried to "train" them indoors. The cats would just flop down on the floor and refuse to move until we unharnessed them. Our local cat shelter has outdoors in good weather a huge screened-in cage/box with various level benches in it. Certain cats like to go in it, but others don't. Maybe too many street and people noises rattle the shyer cats? odinn7 might still be selling pet buggies. :)
    Pets Expert

Jul 6, 2014, 06:06 PM
    No buggies. My animals are animals, not humans. I treat them the way they're meant to be treated. :)

I've put a harness on Kashi. It was too big, so couldn't use it outside, but I put it on him to get him used to it. We're in the burbs, and in a cul-de-sac to boot. The garbage men come once a week for around 20 minutes, and the 10 homes in our circle come and go, and that's the major traffic we get. No loud noises, no major scary things. He should be fine. If not, welcome to indoors, that's it, so enjoy. :)

He's not shy at all. He's an Alty kitty from the tip of his toes to the top of his head. No fear at all with this one. He's a ninja. :)
    Experts

Jul 6, 2014, 07:13 PM
    I got a toy breed sized dog harness (which I have since lost, somehow). It fit Spot, Edith, and Unky just fine. Zoe slid right out, even tightened as small as it would go.

You'll probably have to wait until he gets bigger, before he fits in a harness. Spot was about four months old when I first put a harness on him, and I still had to find a way to cinch it an inch or two tighter than it was made to go.

Some cats are fine in a harness, and some aren't. I got the harness when the kids were about 4 months old, and started taking the boys and Edith out. Spot never got over acting like the harness weighed a ton. Edith ignores the harness, but turns into a hellbeast at the mere sight of a dog, so only went out once or twice. Unky goes into a blind terror the minute I put a harness on him, running blindly in random directions, so has never actually made it all the way outside. Zoe is a little wary of the harness, but is fine once it's on, but hasn't been out because she's too small for the harness.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family member will not leave with his family and my mom died and I am the exector. [ 1 Answers ]

Mother died and I am the executor of the will. Brother and family have lived with Mom for six months. This was suppose to be temporary. Mom never wanted him in the house and told the other family members he better not live in my house and under no cicumstances do I want him to live here. Have not...

What do you do when you take a family member in? [ 8 Answers ]

My mom couldn't take care of me and I was about to be taken away and so my aunt took me in. And when I lived with my mom I could be myself and she didn't put me down for the way that I was or for having feelings. And growing up living with my aunt and her family I began to hate myself and denied my...

How long does it normally take for a family member to adopt another family member [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: I am in the process of adopting my nephew. I have had him since he was born and started the adoption in 05 I did home study, background check, etc in first year. Two years later I got transfer of custody. It is now going on the third year and the adoption is still not final. How long...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

View more questions Search