Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teufelsdorfer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2014, 06:40 AM
    Can I apply for German citizenship if great grandmother was born in Germany
    I was born in South Africa and would like to know whether I qualify to apply for German citizenship through ancestry.

My great grandmother was born in Germany in 1872. (Have her original baptism/birth certificate. Her parents left for South Africa and from there my line, i.e. she is my mother's grandmother and my great grandmother.

Any help will be appreciated
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2014, 07:03 AM
    Nope... too much separation. If it was your mother... it would be different. The laws have changed.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 17, 2014, 07:06 AM
    German nationality laws were changes in 2000, irrespective of blood ties, in order to receive German citizenship you must reside in Germany for six years and be fluent in the German language.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get a German Passport if my mother was born in Germany? [ 3 Answers ]

My mother was born in Germany in 1950 to German parents. She migrated to Australia in 1956 and obtained Australian citizenship. She had me in 1986. Is it possible for me to obtain a German passport whilst not giving up my Australian citizenship? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Born in germany and looking for German citizenship [ 0 Answers ]

I was born in germany and was never a citizen my mother was also born in germany I waw born in 47 amd my mother was born in 1924 what is my status, can I get a German passport or Citizenship

I was born in Germany to a German mother, do I qualify for a German passport? [ 2 Answers ]

I was born in Germany in 1991 on a German mother and a British father. I've lived in the UK since I was a couple months old and I am now 19, because we lived in the UK my mother didn't want things to get complicated with aplying for passports so she only let me have a British one instead of a...

My mother was born in germany do I qualify for a german passport [ 1 Answers ]

My mother was born in what was East Germany, she came to Canada at the age of ten as a refugee, she is now a Canadian Citizen and was when I was born in Calgary, AB Canada in 1974. Both my grandparents were also German but became Canadian. Do I qualify for a german passport, or a dual citizenship.

US Citizen born in Germany--Can she get German Passport? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Just a quick question about obtaining a German passport: My wife was born in Nuremberg, Germany. Her father was in the U.S. Army and stationed there at the time. She only has a USA passport. Is it possible for her to get a German passport, since she was born there? Thanks in...

View more questions Search