Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Soelle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2014, 10:35 AM
    Should a family be notified when a dying man has asked them not to?
    My cousin came in through the emergency room in critical condition. Before losing consciousness, he had said he "had no family", didn't want anyone notified. After he lost consciousness, his breathing became more irregular and he needed a ventilator. At that time, the hospital decided to call his mother to ask if she wanted him vented. Since she had had no contact with him, in years, she didn't know what to say, so she said okay. Should the hospital have contacted his mother?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 14, 2014, 10:55 AM
    How did they know his mother existed and how to contact her?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2014, 04:04 PM
    Unless had a written and signed DNR order in place... yes they could, and yes they should.

A verbal isn't binding.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 14, 2014, 07:30 PM
    Yes, they are to notiify the next of kin.. unless he signed a order not to be revived and not to be keep alive...

But I have to agree, if he comes in, and does not give them any names or numbers, there is no way the hospital will know who to call.. so the story does not add up.. the person had to give hospital name and number of mother, if she was contacted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Letters from a dying man [ 1 Answers ]

I have a terminal illness and want to write a letter for my young daughters but don't seem abel to write something specia can anybody help please

My girlfriend asked me to accept me and another man [ 9 Answers ]

I've been with my girl for 3 1/2 years. I love her and she says she loves me. I recently found out she was seeing another guy. She wants me to accept her and this guy as well as our relationship. She says she feels sorry for him and he is a good man. After lenghty discussions she revealed they did...

I am deployed and my wife asked if she could have sex with another man [ 41 Answers ]

I am deployed its our first deployment together and my wife is really lonely and really deprived from sex just like me and she asked me if she could have sex with another man just to take the edge off. I told her no and my reasons are that it would not stop I don't think what is just once going to...

Teacher asked to Nanny by family in class [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I've been working at the same early childhood center for over two years. About one year ago, I began picking up a two girls before school. I wake them up, get them ready and we're off. The family pays me well for doing this every morning and it has been a nice supplement to my income. Now, the...

View more questions Search