Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abednadir Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2014, 09:02 AM
    Am I eligible for U.S. Citizenship through my father?
    I'm a 23 year old Canadian male. My grandfather was American and my father was born in Florida and left when he was 5. He has a molding of his footprint at birth but has not paid taxes or ever really thought about his citizenship status.

He mentioned something about there being a birthright and that he should be considered a U.S. citizen so I'm wondering if I can or already have acquired U.S. citizenship through him?
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Jun 14, 2014, 10:08 AM
    You really need to give more information, such as when exactly your father was born, and all his periods of presence in the U.S. and when you were born, and whether you were born in wedlock, and whether your mother was a U.S. citizen when you were born.

If only one of your parents was a U.S. citizen, in order for you to be a U.S. citizen at birth (according to the law at the time of your birth), your U.S. citizen parent had to have been physically present in the U.S. for 5 years before you were born, including 2 years after turning 14. You said your father "left when he was 5". Had he spent time in the U.S. after turning 14? If he can scrape together 2 years from trips to the U.S. (he didn't have to "live" there necessarily, just be "present" in the U.S.) after turning 14 and before you were born, then you would automatically have been a U.S. citizen from birth.

If you weren't a U.S. citizen from birth, you could have become a U.S. citizen in one of the following two ways:
    * If you were under 18, your father can apply for you for the N-600K expedited naturalization process, using your grandfather's physical presence in the U.S. However, it must be completed before you turned 18, so this is not available to you.
    * Your father can apply for you to immigrate (i.e. get a green card). If you were under 21, this would be pretty fast; but now, it would take several years to wait for visa numbers. Your father would also have to plan to move back to the U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

German Citizenship/Passport. Am I eligible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am an Australian Citizen with a German heritage. I would like to acquire a German passport. I was born in Australia. My mother was born in Australia, but father was born in Germany to German parents. I would like to travel to Germany to reconnect with my family and my heritage. I am now 30...

Greek eligible for American citizenship? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello. Im a Greek with Greek Citizenship, over 18 y.o. My mother was born in Washington D.C. got her American Citizenship And after many years coming to greece she also got her Greek Citizenship. Her parents (my grandpas) have both their American Citizenship(and greek). My grandfather has...

Dual citizenship French/US. Mother French.Am I eligible and is my daughter eligible [ 1 Answers ]

My mother was born in France, she had French and American Citizenship.. My sisters and I all have US citizenship. My mother put together all of the paperwork to make sure my sisters and I could have dual citizenship... My sisters all applied for dual French citizenship and received it 17 years ago...

Am I eligible to obtain citizenship? [ 1 Answers ]

I did stupid first time offense on July, 2007 and was charged with theft 50-500. I hired an criminal attorney and finnaly I got charge dismissal in December, 2002 after I had completed theft intervention program and 40 hours community service. I also got expungment in July, 2007. Last month, I...

View more questions Search