Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pop99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2014, 05:36 PM
    Am I considered a veteran?
    Am I considered a veteran?

I was in the ARNG between Nov. 1982 to Feb. 1985, a little over 2yrs, However I only went to basic training and my ARNG meetings. Did not go to AIT.

Any Help would be appreciated.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 13, 2014, 05:58 PM
    Here you go.

Re: Veteran Status Question

Yes, you are a veteran. A veteran is a person who served at least 180 days in the active military, and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable, as specified in 38 U.S.C. 101(2). Active service includes full-time Federal service in the National Guard or a Reserve Component. The definition of “active service” does not include full-time duty performed strictly for training purposes (i.e., that which is referred to as “weekend” or “annual” training), nor does it include full-time active duty performed by National Guard personnel who are mobilized by State rather than Federal authorities.

Vet1985: No, BCT, AIT , OCS and other trainings do not count towards this 180 day accrument.

Veteran Status Question - Army National Guard Forums

Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 13, 2014, 06:01 PM
    Do you have discharge papers? A DD214 form or NGB -22. Those will identify your discharge status. The rule of thumb is that if you separated under honorable conditions you are a veteran.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2014, 07:08 PM
    US Census Bureau definition: (my bolding)
    "Veterans are men and women who have served (even for a short time), but are not currently serving, on active duty in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, or the Coast Guard, or who served in the U.S. Merchant Marine during World War II. People who served in the National Guard or Reserves are classified as veterans only if they were ever called or ordered to active duty, not counting the 4-6 months for initial training or yearly summer camps. "

Under this definition and under the def. provided by cdad above- (training time is excluded), you would not meet the definition of US Military Veteran.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 14, 2014, 02:18 AM
    It depends on what you mean, and what you want from the title Veteran. You can oin the VFW or the American Legion. You most likely not entitled to any benefits

If you want to tell friends at work, you were, yep you were.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I a Veteran? [ 3 Answers ]

I would seriously like to know if I am a veteran. I did my Basic Training and my AIT in 1992 and I came home. Went to my unit for a few months then I couldn't to do it anymore and got depressed and couldn't do it anymore emotionally. I gave back the bonus that they gave me for enlisting for...

Am I considered a veteran [ 13 Answers ]

I survived boot camp and a few weeks of medical training and got out of the Army, am I considered a veteran?

Am I a veteran? [ 1 Answers ]

I joined the Naval Reserve on 17 Jan 1955. I attended Reserve boot camp at Bainbridge,Md in April 1955. I attended The US Naval Academy for two years from June 1956 to June of 1958. I then was a memner of the naval reserve from June oe 1958 to May of 1959. I moved to Nh and was told I would be a...

Am I considered a Military Veteran? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was in the Guam Army National Guard from April 1986 through April 1991. I am trying to refinance my home mortgage. Do I qualify as a VA?

Am I considered a veteran [ 3 Answers ]

I served in the airforce national guard during the Korean war but did not see any active action--I served for seven years

View more questions Search