Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NGNG Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2014, 02:23 PM
    Electrical Outlet Wiring Pigtailing
    I am replacing an electrical outlet, the wiring connecting to the outlet is in poor condition. I am going to cut the wiring back to where the wires are not damaged. To connect the outlet I will need to pigtail some wire to extend the length (this is in the box not behind the wall).

The outlet has 2 black wires to the two dark terminals and two white wire to the silver terminals and a ground.

I am getting confused on a few articles that I am reading. Some indicate that it is best to pigtail the blacks for one connection to the outlet (same for white). Since I have to do pigtails anyway, I can wire it that way. Of course, there are some contradictions.

Is one way better than the other?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 13, 2014, 06:26 PM
    You may add a length of wire as long as the connection is made inside the box. You may connect the two blacks and add one pig tail, them connect the two whites and add a pig tail. Or you may add a pig tail to each wire. Your choice as long as the connections are made inside the box.
    I would probably go with connecting the two wires and adding one pig tail, fewer connections and takes up less room in the box. However, that is probably more difficult to do than just adding a pig tail to each wire.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2014, 10:19 PM
    It sounds like your receptacle was used to "junction" the circuit... two wires in and two wires out. Pigtails are the best way to go as they insure that the wiring does not have to go through any receptacle. How is the receptacle grounded?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2014, 02:00 AM
    Use Term-Nuts from Ideal. I won't go into details because I lost what I typed. One of the other reasons I'm not here any more. Making the grounds work is harder, but it depends on what you have to work with. You have to ground the outlet and the metal box with a wire. Your not allowed to relay on the screw except in special circumstances.

Jun 16, 2014, 07:11 AM
    It is "grounded" an old fashioned way that is no longer acceptable.

Jun 16, 2014, 07:18 AM
    Sorry, I had trouble figuring out the reply here and kept losing paragraphs.

I did do the pigtails and the receptacle is grounded but I understand that does not address the box issue. For now, I am leaving the circuit off and will only put it on for specific purposes if needed.

The side of the metal box is rusted, that is why the wires were in bad shape (the leak that caused it has been repaired). I have it on the list to open up the wall area-get a new box.

When conditions are good, I can do simple mimic stuff. Other than a BAD experience with an electrician on this past Friday, I don't have a problem getting help. I just need to do it in stages and I want to understand even if it is not something I would do myself.
    Studs ad Posts: 134, Reputation: 9

Jun 16, 2014, 01:36 PM
    If you plan on replacing the box you can get what they call an "old work box", which generally is a little larger and deeper than your existing metal box. I don't endorse dealers normally, but Lowe's has an old work box with 2 wood screws mounted on an angle inside the box that you can screw to a stud.(I think Allied makes them too if you can find them elsewhere). The screws hold the box solid and allow for adjusting the box to be flush with the finished surface. If the current box is not next to a stud, then there are alternative "old work boxes" that work fine also. A new deeper box will allow you to make your connections and probably stay within code for the box size. If you are comfortable making the connections, then two blacks and black pigtail under one wire nut and two whites and white pigtail under another wire nut. The pigtails go to the appropriate terminals on the outlet.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 16, 2014, 01:47 PM
    To replace an old metal box.

Carefully pry the box away from the stud slightly. You should be able to separate the box and the stud by 1/8" without damaging the drywall. Then cut the nails between the box and the stud with a sawsall (reciprocating saw) and metal cutting blade. Remove box and replace with an "old work" box.

Damage to the drywall should not be necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pigtailing off a 14g outlet to a 12g new outlet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I recently Pigtailed off an existing outlet that was 14g wire and ran to a new outlet that I installed with 12 gauge wire. Any problem with this? The new outlet is for a cable box and DVD player so there will not be much draw

Electrical outlet wiring/switched outlet? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to fix the wiring in an outlet in the master bedroom of the house we just bought. Currently there is a 3 gang swtich at the entrance to the bedroom. We were told two of the 3 switches controlled the fan & light for a ceiling fan lamp that was removed by the previous owner. We were...

Troubleshoot Wiring a Dual Electrical Outlet [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, I hope this is an easy one to answer. In my kitchen, I was replacing old electrical outlets (USA - 15a 120V). There are two specific outlets that are side-by-side. They fit in a double-sized box. Now, the outlets that I am replacing were a little bit older, and so I am a bit...

Electrical Outlet Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I have an regular outlet (not GFCI), spilled water making coffee, had the breaker kick off, replaced the breaker and regular outlet; tried a GFCI outlet; when I reset the gfci outlet the breaker still kicks off; any suggestions?

Wiring electrical outlet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 50 amp breaker on a 220v outlet that I plug my RV into, I'd like to install a 110v receptical next to it, getting my power from it. How do I go about this? Thanks

View more questions Search