Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1leahburke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2014, 07:02 AM
    Flying with broken ankle
    My son has had surgery on Saturday 7th June to put plates and screws into the Tibia and tightrope on the ankle and repair a ligament after an open fracture to the ankle. We are due to go to greece on 28th, would it be OK to fly?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 13, 2014, 07:08 AM
    Since this surgery would set him up for risk of a deep vein thrombosis, this is a question you would have to discuss with his medical providers, not strangers on the internet.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2014, 07:19 AM
    I agree with J_9. Speaking as someone who had surgery on the ankle and lower leg before... without a bone injury, I spent three weeks having to keep my leg elevated frequently, and when not moving around, and I could not have dealt with the cramped conditions on an airplane for that long flight to greece where you can't move around much OR raise that leg at all.

But as was suggested , speak with his doctor... I would be very surprised if they allowed it based on my own experience. Which is really not a good indication of what he might be told.
    1leahburke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2014, 04:50 AM
    He has to take a daily injection, could he not take this prior to flying? My fear is that he has been really good and realises that the next 2 weeks after surgery its really important to elevate the leg, which he has been duly doing, but he is counting down for this 2 weeks, at which point he wants to go out and about in his mates cars, they are all just 18, mothers nightmare!! If we were to continue with the holiday, it would be 3 weeks from the date of the operation, I also know he'll have no choice but to rest and elevate his leg whilst away, he would then be a further 2 weeks down the line of having his cast on, he would reach the 5 week point on our return. How do you pin down an 18 year old who feels like his whole summer has been ruined?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2014, 05:02 AM
    Depending on where you are flying from (even if you was flying from the UK)... thats a very significant period of time. He won't have the chance to elevate his leg on the plane, there just isn't enough space... Trust me I've been back and forth to Europe from the United states over 25 times.

I know he might "WANT" to go... but as J_9 stated, a Deep Vein Thrombosis is nothing to take lightly... that is in laymans terms essentially a blood clot... one that could move and kill him. That would ruin his summer...

Even from the east coast we are talking roughly 8 hours cooped up, unable to move much, completely unable to elevate his leg at all. Most flights are fully booked these days as they have reduced the number of flights to push up the occupancy to actually being overbooked, and I've seen many late arrivers bumped because of it. I haven't seen an unoccupied seat in a few years on any flight I was on.

But as J_9 also stated....talk with his doctors....make sure they know exactly what the plans are and how long he will be boxed up unble to raise his leg. Not just going over....but coming back as well.

I'm betting they think its a bad idea as well.
    choosy101 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2014, 07:57 PM
    I don't think so! But better if you will ask your son's doctor just to make nothing will happen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my ankle broken? [ 3 Answers ]

so at soccer two weeks ago I rolled my ankle and it popped. I just played it off and thought it would get better. Now every time I walk or move my foot there is a sharp pain all the way up the left side of my leg, should I ask my parents to get an x-ray? Or is it just sprained?

Broken ankle - when can I drive again [ 4 Answers ]

I broke the 2 bones either side of my right ankle on 11th January, I am now walking without assistance am I all right to drive again?

Broken Ankle Joint [ 2 Answers ]

I fractured my ankle join a few weeks back. I'm walking normally now and have no cast or crutches but I'm getting physio therapy on it. He gave me some exercises to do at home but I really don't notice any improvement. I work walking arounf for 4 hours per day and I'm usually very active. ...

Broken ankle problem [ 1 Answers ]

I broke my ankle about 5 weeks ago and a few days later had 11 screws and a plate put in surgically on the outside of my left ankle. I have not been in a ton of pain recently, just discomfort. However, around 4:00 today I experienced sharp pain and increased discomfort. I iced it and took some pain...

Flying with a Broken bone [ 1 Answers ]

I have broken my wrist (2 weeks ago) and in a cast and due to fly in next few weeks. Hospital doc is happy with progress but someone has said I shouldn't fly with a broken bone. Is there any reason I shouldn't fly (eg increased risk of embolism), could I be stopped by airline & how do skiing...

View more questions Search