Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2014, 07:40 AM
    Bad news! It's likely significant valve and piston damage has taken place, due to it being an interference engine. What that means is the pistons collide with the valves, when the timing belt breaks and/or slips. Go slow before spending any more money on the car--check everything out very carefully for internal engine damage. Perform a compression test on each cylinder--that should definitively tell you if the engine is any good.

When you replaced the timing belt, did you install the correct belt and did you set the tension properly?
    Socalstarter Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2014, 02:06 PM
    Im going to do that later after work. Hope there's no damage. I put the belt that I was told by the auto parts store was for my car and I adjusted turning the crank pulley about 3 teeths of the belt counterclockwise. Thanks tx
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2014, 03:43 PM
    When you adjusted the tension, were you on the compression stroke? It makes a difference, since you need that resistance for the spring to set the proper tension. The belt running from the camshaft to the crankshaft should be "banjo" tight.

Dec 17, 2014, 05:21 PM
    I Cant get any compression in any of the cylinders. I think is because I don't have spark in any of the spark plugs. Can it be that possible?
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2014, 05:31 PM
    Remove all of the spark plugs, attach the compression gauge to the first cylinder, have a friend crank the starter motor for several revolutions, and record the reading. Then, do the same thing for the other 3 cylinders.

Dec 17, 2014, 06:31 PM
    No I have no compression in all the four cylinders. Im really worried about that
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2014, 07:06 AM
    It would probably be cheaper and easier to install a remanufactured engine.

Dec 19, 2014, 10:32 AM
    I removed the valve cap and I found that all the spring heads felt down of the springs on the exhaust train valve. I think that's why I don't have any compression at all. Do you really think is better to install a remanufactured or new engine other than just replace the valves or head?
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2014, 10:42 AM
    It sounds like the pistons collided with the valves. What you are seeing now is only the tip of the iceberg. In all likelihood, valves are bent, valve guides are destroyed, the camshaft may be bent, and pistons and connecting rods may be damaged. I would install a remanufactured engine that exactly matches the one that is in the car now. Then, you won't have ECM and other electronic compatibility problems.

Dec 19, 2014, 10:58 AM
    Im going to start looking for one because I turned the crank pulley by hand and I can hear a really bad noice like when you take bearings in your hand and smash them together. Now I need to call some places. Thank you tx. If you don't have any problem I would keep bothering you with my questions
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2014, 11:22 AM
    Keep 'em coming.

Check AutoZone and O'Reillys--get a meaningful guarantee from someone who will stand behind it. Start using Mobil 1 5W-30 in the new engine right from the get go.

Dec 27, 2014, 02:03 AM
    I checked both az ans oreilly and the engines are expensive there 2500 dollars. That's too much for my budget. Do you know what engine fits in my car without much adjustments other that the original??
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2014, 06:19 AM
    No. You need to get an exact match, otherwise the ECM, wiring harness, etc. won't be compatible.

Jan 5, 2015, 03:53 PM
    I removed the head cylinder and all exhaust valves were bent then I checked the pistons for scratches and they were good I also turned the crank pulley by hand and no noice while turning so I decided to just go to the junk yard and get an used head which I got from a back smashed car. I sent it to the shop and I installed it. I checked for compression and I got 155 in 3 of the 4 cylinder and 135 in number 2. I think I'm lucky.thanks tx for all your help
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2015, 04:31 PM
    Good job. Keep us posted with how it runs.

Feb 5, 2015, 03:37 PM
    Car is running good other than a misfiring. It is strong and smooth. I scanned it and I have a code p0013
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2015, 05:28 PM
    Try clearing all codes and see if it comes back--it may be left over in the PCM from before. Otherwise, P0013 B Camshaft Position – Actuator Circuit (Bank 1).

Feb 11, 2015, 12:10 AM
    Ok tx I have 3 different codes: P0300,p0110,and p0136 my obd tells me that p0300 is a misfiring,p0110 is for the intake temp sensor and p0136 is for the O2 sensor number 2. Actually I have 4 codes 2.P0300. Are all three codes related one to another? And what happen if I replace only the O2 sensor? Could the other 2 fix by themselves just replacing O2 sensor?
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2015, 06:23 AM
    Yes, replacing the oxygen sensor may clear several other codes. Only buy an OEM or Denso oxygen sensor for your car. Beforehand, check for any vacuum leaks.

Feb 12, 2015, 11:23 AM
    Hey tx lets see if you can give me a diagnosis with what I am going to describe. Yesterday my car (98 hyundai sonata) started running rough. Rpm dropped to almost cero but the car didn't stall and when I push the gas it last a about 5 seconds to move slow then I kept pushing the gas and it started moving faster but the rpms did not go over 3000 and the speed not over 60 mph. I check the timing belt to see if it slipped and I cleaned the injectors,I checked for any vacuum leaking and there's none I check the compression and the only one that is low is number one 165 all the other three are 180+. Do you know what I have to check next?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it right to be bringing up the past? [ 4 Answers ]

I cheated on my girl friend like 6 times during our 2 years together. She decided to give me another chance. I regret it with all my heart. Now we keep fighting and even though she knows I won't do her wrong again she still brings up the past out of the blue often. I get mad when she brings it up...

Bringing Our Bedroom To Life [ 11 Answers ]

Me and my wife have been married for almost a year and together for 6yrs. At first our sex life was off the charts and now it is nothing to write home about. We have had our up's and down's and split up 2yrs ago. But it just has not gotten to that real exciting point again. I love my wife dearly...

Bringing a lawsuit [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question as to weather I could actually have a lawsuit against an person where I work, I am not sure under what kind of category it falls under as it is kind of weird. Also the people I work for kind of are afraid I will sue them which leads me to want to know. So.. about a year ago I...

View more questions Search