Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1GREGORY9876 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2014, 02:37 AM
    Who owns his ashes
    My father passed away and his then wife placed his ashes in a memorial wall against his wishes. His wife quickly remarried and the other family members wish to obtain the ashes and dispose of them in the method dad wanted. His ex wife refused to sign a release for his ashes. Dads next of kin is his younger brother. Who has legal say over his ashes ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2014, 03:20 AM
    The heir of the estate of your father would have given his ashes to the legal heir.

Often this will be his wife

What did the will say.
    You said, his wishes, so in his will, did he specifiy on how they ashes were to be disposed of. If he merely told someone, that is not legally binding and has no legal standing.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 12, 2014, 04:05 AM
    Agreed, wills trump wishes if different.
    And if there was no will, laws vary by state, but the wife gets at least half.
    Some funeral homes give ashes to the person who paid for them, or the executor of the estate if there was a will. It's then up to the executor to follow the terms of the will.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 12, 2014, 08:31 AM
    Who owns the wall? Ask them what sort of document they need to get possession of the ashes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ashes [ 1 Answers ]

My brother was married in the state of Florida, he was only married for 10 months. He recently passed away and was cremated, His Wife will not give some of the ashes to my parents. Do they have any rights. They has A Verbal agreement before he was cremated, he was suppose to be split. What can My...

Parent ashes does [ 0 Answers ]

My father remarried and past 15 yrs ago. At the time of his passing my sister, brother and I asked his widow wife to allow us to place his ashes in rest, she refused and took him with her. We were unable to locate her for many years, as time passed on - we had heard that she had moved to Florida...

My fathers ashes [ 2 Answers ]

My father passed away in December last year, he was married for 5years and there is me and my brother left, she has got his ashes and has a new boyfriend has done since 7month, she has got no intentions of putting my dad to rest proply all I want is that I have some where to go and visit him but...

Burial of ashes? [ 5 Answers ]

My girlfriends dad passed back in December of 2011 and its now September of 2012 and he was spouse to be buried back in spring its been almost a year and she is really stressed out and I wan to know if there a way to take ownership of the ashes from her older brother so he can be buried and she can...

Brothers Ashes [ 1 Answers ]

Last August my brother passed away. He was divorced, and his 3 boys were minors. We are in CA. My Mother was the next of kin, and so we got his ashes, we paid for the funeral, and have the ashes. We got a court order that his ex wife wants the ashes to be part of the estate, whom she is the...

View more questions Search