Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 12:04 PM
    California teacher tenure law ruled unconstitutional
    Seems to me to be a positive development:

California teacher tenure law unconstitutional

This is not to say that teacher's aren't deserving of good pay, fairness in evaluations and promotion opportunities, etc - just as any other worker should be. But they should not be entitled to special job protections above and beyond what other workers have. All the arguments I've seen that public school teachers need "special protection" could just as easily be made by anybody in any other profession.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2014, 12:12 PM
    I completely agree with you. If they lost that I think the quiality of education would increase if they became accountable for the quality of their work, like everyone else is.
    Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 12:26 PM
    And just to be clear - this is all about how to get rid of individual incompetent employees (and we all know they exist). It's about the 5% or so of public school teachers (maybe less) that under no circumstance would you ever want teaching your child.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2014, 12:31 PM
    I don't think its as low as 5% or less based on the teachers I knew in school... but its not the majority for sure. It would definitely provide incentive for the lower performing ones to step up their game to save their own jobs. Just like underperformers anyplace else.

A guaranteed job for life offers NO incentive for anyone to do their best at all times.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 01:22 PM
    I have to agree with Smoothy; I would put the percentage of time servers in the teens. Good teachers deserve more than principals or winning coaches. Having to haul the deadwood along with them holds the entire profession back.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 01:46 PM
    If a good teacher should make more than a principal why would any yeacher want to become a principal? I agrree, the current system is not good but it was created at a time when it was neded. It has outlived its purpose.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 03:24 PM
    Agreed. Much the same can be said for most trade unions as well.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2014, 03:35 PM
    Not all trade unions will back up a member who is not pulling their own weight or doing their job... I've seen several people fired and I got my own job because another was fired... the union didn't back up any of them because of what they did in one case... and the fact that despite several warnings a few of the others continued until they were fired. And we are talking one of the most recognised labor union names out there in the ones I speak of.

And trust me... I'm no defender of labor unions.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jun 10, 2014, 04:26 PM
    Hmm, there may be hope for good education after all.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2014, 08:06 AM
    Now if we can just end tenure period.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 11, 2014, 08:18 AM
    I doubt if it will be done away with but it can be altered. When I started teaching in 1970 tenure took 2 years. Now it takes 4 years and a teacher can be released without cause during the first 3 years. If an administrator can't spot a poor teacher in 3 years then the administrator needs to be retrained or replaced.
    Expert

Jun 11, 2014, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    If an administrator can't spot a poor teacher in 3 years then the administrator needs to be retrained or replaced.
    Yes, unless of course that administrator has tenure... (just kidding). What you're suggesting is that a teacher's performance at age 50 can be perfectly predicted by his or her performance at age 25. But over time things can change - I've had to let go employees with 20 years experience who had been highly rated earlier in their careers. To maintain a strong organization all workers must realize that they must strive for continual improvement in performance, and if they stop being valuable employees they may have to seek alternate employment.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jun 11, 2014, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Yes, unless of course that administrator has tenure... (just kidding). What you're suggesting is that a teacher's performance at age 50 can be perfectly predicted by his or her performance at age 25. But over time things can change - I've had to let go employees with 20 years experience who had been highly rated earlier in their careers. To maintain a strong organization all workers must realize that they must strive for continual improvement in performance, and if they stop being valuable employees they may have to seek alternate employment.
    Did you give them a "Gold Watch"? Just kidding.
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2014, 09:43 AM
    I'm guessing a simulated leather boot.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2014, 08:32 PM
    Just give them a contract

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wisconsin anti union law UNCONSTITUTIONAL [ 6 Answers ]

Hello: Didja hear?? Silly Republicans. excon

Obamacare's unconstitutional [ 17 Answers ]

That's what U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson said today. He said the mandate requiring people to have medical insurance exceeds all constitutional "logical limitations ". Judge in Va. strikes down federal health care law - Yahoo! News If one part of Obamacare goes down then the whole law...

Tenure-How Important shoud it be? [ 1 Answers ]

The above was posted in a different thread and I though it interesting enough to open it for discussion. As I understand tenure, its supposed to give a teacher academic freedom by making it harder to terminate their employment. Even if a teacher is good at their job (and often a very good...

Are child support sentences unconstitutional? [ 9 Answers ]

I was wondering if when a so called "Dead Beat Dad" is jailed for non payment of child support, if being held long enough in jail that he loses his job,home, driver's license, and more; if that is breaking a constitutional law? How do these agencies expect a man to pay support if they house him...

FICA 5 years tenure [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been in USA since Dec '01. After my graduation in May '06, I started working on OPT. My company is deducting the FICA taxes, but I think it should not be deducted since my 5 years tax-free tenure in USA is not over yet until Dec '06. Please advice... Thanks

View more questions Search