Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onlineuser Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2014, 09:39 AM
    ITIN rejected for my daughter . Need Help Pease!!
    Hello,

My daughters ITIN application is rejected, they are asking to send the original passport. My question is if I am not sending the passport, once the IRS office rejects the application completely, can I apply again by showing the passport in the nearby IRS office. I want to avoid the process of sending the original passport to them. Again, will it be approved or any cases of rejection.

Let me know your experiences of this cases.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2014, 09:41 AM
    THe original passport is proof and assures its not a copy that's been altered. They will send the passport back. Your local passport office is unlikely to be the one actually processing it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 01:20 PM
    And I could be wrong, but I don't think the Internal Revenue Service has anything to do with it.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Jun 10, 2014, 01:32 PM
    You might get more help from our Taxes forum.

There are two ways to apply for an ITIN:
    1. Mail the W-7, original copy of the passport (or a copy of the passport certified by the issuing agency; but not all issuing agencies do this), plus the completed tax forms (1040 etc.) that need this ITIN all together to the IRS.

2. Go to an IRS office that specifically offers in-person certification of documents (not all of them offer this; only certain ones), with the W-7, copy of passport, original passport, and completed tax forms, they will return the original passport to you and take all the rest and submit it. However, there are reports that staff at some IRS local offices that wrongly refuse eligible applicants; if this is the case then you will have to go through the mailing route.

From your question, it is unclear what you did. Did you go to the office and was refused? Or did you mail in the W-7 but did not include the original passport?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer
    And I could be wrong, but I don't think the Internal Revenue Service has anything to do with it.
    It is the IRS that assigns Individual Tax Identification Numbers. I think newacct's response is spot on.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jun 11, 2014, 02:08 AM
    Getting an ITIN number is getting more difficult this day. If you do not want to send original passport, then you must go to local IRS office so they can verify the documents.

You can apply for ITIN on 2 conditions:

1. You have income tax to pay.
    2. You have witholding taxes and want to file tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Status of balance refund if daughter's ITIN (W7) gets rejected [ 5 Answers ]

I have filed for my 2012 return as "married filing jointly". Both myself and my wife have SSN. I applied for the ITIN of my daughter, when I had filed for my return this month. As per the new laws, I only sent the notarized passport of my daughter and did not send original passport of my daughter. ...

ITIN rejected [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My wife's ITIN application (W-7) was rejected. After she applied for it, she received a letter from IRS In May which says that she needs to send "supporting documents" Even though she sent a notarized copy of passport and visa with the Original W-7. She then went to a local IRS office...

ITIN Rejected. No Accurate Data on the ITIN Status from IRS [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I'm originally from Ukraine and got married to an American in 2008. When filing our tax return as married filing jointly my husband and I submitted a W-7 form with a copy of my passport to get an ITIN. 6 weeks later we got a letter from IRS saying that we did not provide sufficient...

ITIN Rejected [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! I am on H4. I have submitted the necessary documents for ITIN twice (1nce were rejected as documents were not notarized by US notary). I have been rejected for ITIN again. What should I do as the reason is not clear, and my Husband who is on H1B is awaiting for it to file his tax...

View more questions Search