Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 08:48 AM
    Maple Mastiff?
    I have a 10 month old Bull/English Mastiff puppy. He's about the size of a full grown husky, maybe a little bigger. All legs. About what you'd expect from a Mastiff. For the last couple weeks he's smelt of maple. We're not too concerned but it is a little odd. We did visit my in-laws and they've got a maple tree in the back so it could be because he rubbed on it but I believe that he's been smelling of maple longer than that. I don't remember though.

He was just at the vet for his shots this past weekend. I forgot to mention it but the vet didn't really mention it either. The vet did get up close and personal with Achilles (His Heal isn't his weakness though) while taking his temperature rectally. That was some good comedy! Taking a 105lbs dog's temperature with a rectal thermometer.

Any thoughts? As I said we're not really concerned but it just struck us as odd.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 09:40 AM
    We have a lot,of maple trees on our property and they don't exzude any substance from the bark, so I can't imagine Achilles would have got the scent from that. Has he been into any syrup ?
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 09:46 AM
    Not that I know of. We don't generally keep maple syrup on hand despite being above the 49th parallel. :-)

In my googling I have found that there are some herbs, fenugreek for example, that could cause this if he came in contact with it, but I don't think we have much or any on the property. That being said, in areas it is REALLY overgrown so it is possible I suppose. I am more worried about a metabolic disorder. Most of what I have read so far is that it's either a contact smell or we're just lucky and it's produced.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 09:57 AM
    Call the breeder and see if they can shed some light on this. Maybe the scent is particular to the breed. Stranger things have happened !

If you are worried about a metabolic disorder, the scent would be coming from his pores, stronger around his belly where there is less hair. I think you had better do some serious sniffing. If you find it isn't stronger there, you will know it isn't metabolic and just a scent that has been transferred to his hair.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2014, 11:37 AM
    Well if the dog came into contact with a maple tree.. and now smells like maple.. chances are the sap got onto the dogs hair. Have you tried giving him a bath?

Smelling like maple is not a medical condition.. I seriously wouldn't be worried about it and I doubt a vet would even mention it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mastiff [ 1 Answers ]

Why would my normally docile mastiff become aggressive towards humans

Neapolitan Mastiff(Hot Weather) [ 9 Answers ]

I Live in Jordan/Middle east, I Might get 2 Neapolitan Mastiff's ( male and female ), my house is located in the dead sea, weather is usually hot there and temperature can reach 45 sometimes with low humidity, so I was wondering if the neapolitan mastiffs can handle hot weather ? P.S: the...

My mastiff is urinating irregularly. [ 7 Answers ]

My mastiff is four years old she never makes messes in the house anymore, but lately I have found she's been urinating while laying down in the house. The back door is always open so she can go out whenever. Once she was laying at our feet while we were sitting on the couch and when she got up...

Our mastiff [ 7 Answers ]

What constitutes good socialization for a old english mastiff, how much, where ,when,how etc. can you train a mastiff to keep his paws down instead of knocking people over

View more questions Search