Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALCV BB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2014, 08:43 AM
    501c3 charities thrift store regulations
    Are there regulations regarding customers in the back room of a 501c3 thrift store?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2014, 08:44 AM
    Doing what exactly? Having poker games? Delivering donations?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy
    Having poker games?
    Love it!

I suspect the concern is customers having access to items that have been recently donated and are not yet for sale to the general public. If that's the issue, then no, there are no regulations. It would be similar to having a private sale. The only concern would be if the items are sold from the back room at lower price than the 501c3 could otherwise get if the items were sold in the store front - if this is the case store management and the 501c3 board should set clear rules that govern this practice, as it is costing the 501c3 money. And if items are sold on consignment (i.e. where the donor gets a portion of the proceeds) this may be a touchy subject.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 08:11 PM
    Of if the store, allowed some customers to pick out items before they become publicly available.

But a store has to have management rules. For safety and security, customers should only be in the public area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

501c3 rules and regulations [ 4 Answers ]

Can a 501c3 organization sell a board member's book in their shop with some money going to the author without the organization losing its 501c3 statis?

501c3 Rules and Regulations [ 3 Answers ]

How often does a 501c3 have to be audited?

501C3 Rules and Regulations [ 1 Answers ]

I belong to a 501c3 organization (Model Railroad Museum). We often receive gifts of model railroad equipment of which we use some and sell some at Train Shows. Do we have to pay Minnesota Sales Tax on what we sell? Also do we pay sales tax on shirts, etc that we sell in our Train Museum Store?

501C3 rules and regulations [ 8 Answers ]

I have gone through pages upon pages of IRS docs and haven't found my answer so before my head explodes, I thought I would try here to hopefully get pointed in the right direction. I am the Captain of a 501C3 volunteer unit in our county that on occasion, assists law enforcement or fire as...

501c3 rules and regulations [ 2 Answers ]

Is it illegal or not in compliance of 501c3 for a Pastor to pay the bills of the church?

View more questions Search