Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariakrc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2014, 09:34 AM
    Question about owing $100K in child support and child abandonment
    Good afternoon,

In July of 2007, I gave birth to a little girl and although her father and I were no longer together, we decided to add his name onto the birth certificate so he could assume all legal/financial responsibilities. For about the first 2 months, he would see her and provide her formula, her pampers, clothing... wouldn't give me money but I was fine with that as long as he provided her basic necessities. Unfortunately, this was very short lived and I was forced to file for custody as well as for child support when she was just a year old.

In 2008, I was granted custody of my child by default since he failed to show up to court along with a visitation order which states "father must call mother 24 in advance if he wants to see the child, pick up and drop off at the mother's home curbside" and a few weeks earlier there was a child support order of $360 per week by default as well since he went in playing games with the judge and did not provide sufficient proof of income.

Fast forward to the present, he has been very inconsistent in our daughter's life... he owes about $109k in child support and hasn't made a single payment since December 2012; in addition, he has not seen nor called our daughter since November 2013 and prior to that almost another full year passed. My question is, all of a sudden he is sending me emails and texts wanting to see her and speak to her but my fear and concern is that I am going to allow him to enter her life once again just so he can walk out of it again as his track record shows. Do I need to go back to court and seek SOLE custody since apparently all my document states is that I have custody? Do I still need to comply with allowing him to see her? Does the fact that he owes so much in child support and he refuses to get a job on the books support my case for abandonment? Please assist. Thank you.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2014, 09:45 AM
    Child visitation issues are completely separate from child support issues. Yes you have to comply with what the court mandated for visitation. Any changes MUST be made through the court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 9, 2014, 05:14 PM
    Sole custody does not take away visitation rights, sole custody merely changes any joint custody. What percent custody does he have now ?

It is almost impossible to take away visitation unless he is a dangerous person.
    Yes, the current child visit order is still valid.

If you wish to change visitation, you will have to return to court.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 10, 2014, 07:03 AM
    Do I still need to comply with allowing him to see her?
    Yes, by all means.

Does the fact that he owes so much in child support and he refuses to get a job on the books support my case for abandonment?
    Unless you are in Alabama, or maybe a few other places, this isn't "abandonment". In most areas, that term refers to leaving a child untended somewhere without any adult looking after her. What you apparently mean is non-support which, as noted, is a separate issue having nothing to do with the right to visitation.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 10, 2014, 07:26 AM
    As the others have noted support and visitation issues are separate. You can push for supervised visitation, but its unlikely you will be able to block any visitation. Bu, until a court order changes the current visitation, you have to agree to it as long as he complies with the 24 hour notice and pickup requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by mariakrc View Post
    support my case for abandonment?
    What case? Abandonment is not something you establish a case for. It may be used as grounds for something else, like termination of rights, but no in itself. And getting his rights terminated will be very difficult, unless you have a step father waiting to adopt.

P.S. any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file child abandonment warrant? My exhusband hasn't paid 5 months child support [ 2 Answers ]

It's been five months and he now owes $9,000 and refuses to pay. I filed a contempt of court order paperwork and the law has made four attempts to serve him but was unsuccessful. What can I do next? Can I file a child abandonment warrant or just file another contempt of court paperwork again until...

Give up on child support or face child abandonment [ 5 Answers ]

I have PTSD from domestic violence and have to take medications which do not allow me to drive. I have custody of my three children. The court has ordered that I pick the children up from visits; I don't even have a car right now. I thought of asking that he provide all transport in lieu of...

Travel out of Country while owing child support [ 5 Answers ]

My son is a convicted felon for drugs. He did his time and is off probation. He has been clean and sober for almost 10 years. We know he can get a passport to go on a family vacation cruise but he thinks because he still owes $6k in back child support they won't let him leave the Country. Is...

Should I File for Child Abandonment or Continue to Wait for my Child Support Hearing? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old child out of wedlock and I broke up with his father since September 2008. He was abusive and I had him arrested. After he got out of jail, I allowed him to still see our child. We agreed that he would pay the child support without the courts being involved. Well of course that...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search