Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thundert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2014, 09:42 PM
    3 days ago my dogs got in a fight and left 2 puncture wounds on my dogs left shoulder
    My dog has 2 puncture wound on her back from our other dog have treated with Epsom salt soaks and it has been 3 days, it was very swollen, now about 1/2 the size, still oozing, she is eating well, active, no breathing problems, I am still treating her daily with soaks and antibiotic ointment, do I need to take her to the vet.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2014, 07:11 AM
    If your child got bitten and you have the same conditions, would you home treat or take to a Doctor? Other dog have a rabies shot? Your dog have a rabies shot?
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Jun 8, 2014, 07:44 AM
    Seems to me I remember reading something about possibility of infection under the skin from a bite even though the outside looks good. I will also suggest a vet visit.
    Biggest issue would be to figure out what caused it and what you can do to help prevent it.
    If she is okay so far I would suggest no emergency vet but your regular vet on Monday. I know how expensive emergency vets can be but if she seems to worsen or you become more concerned than you may have to go.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 8, 2014, 07:44 AM
    Of course you need to take her to a vet. She will need booster shots if anything. Your treatment seems to be okay. I would keep a close eye on the oozing; bleeding is good, bleeding cleans the wound.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 8, 2014, 07:48 AM
    Your treatment of the wound see be okay. I would discontinue the epsom salts though. Soaking a lot will not do any good, only deter the healing process. What kind of antibiotic cream are you using. Some are not good as the wound will develop a resistance to the effect of the antibiotic over a prolonged period.

Good luck, but would still suggest a vet if the wound does not start to heal in a week or so.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2014, 10:46 AM
    Dog bite wounds are easy to compare to an iceberg. You only see the top, but underneath, a lot of damage occurs.

This dog needs oral antibiotics, which you can only get from a vet. Antibiotic creams aren't strong enough to penetrate deep into the wound. And from the description, an abscess has already formed. This needs to be addressed through a vet.

There aren't many options.. your dog needs to go in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dogs left eye is swollen and chunky [ 1 Answers ]

My dogs left eye is swollen and chunky and he won't eat

Pain intermittent in left arm and under left shoulder blade [ 0 Answers ]

My left arm has been having intermittent pain from the shoulder to the wrist for about 24 hours and I did not fall or do anything to injure it and in the past hour I have noticed that I now have pain under my left shoulder blade as well. I have been under a tremendous amount of stress for the past...

Tubal 10yrs ago now missed period also in left side slight shoulder pain [ 2 Answers ]

3 days late white thick discharge for 4 days before missed period now left lower back pain with this burning sensation also in left side slight shoulder pain.. neg.test no prenancy sign only sleepy just a little nausa nothing major could this be etopic pain?

How long can dogs be left alone? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 6yr old lab mix that I have had since a puppy. My boyfriend and I have worked alternating shifts for a year now (I work days he works evenings) My boyfriends shifts just got changed and he will be working the same hours as me but that means my dog will be alone. Before he was only alone...

Can dogs be left on their own? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I was wondering what peoples opinions are in relation to - how long can a dog really be left on their own? I'm looking into getting a Lab (not puppy I must stress), and the dog could on some occasions be left on their own for about 6 hours. Although I would be looking into getting a dog...

View more questions Search