Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starfall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2014, 09:34 PM
    Surge protector "worked"
    There is an "issue" regarding our surge protectors on some of our devices.

Just a few hours ago, a lightning bolt hit a transformer just outside our house and wiped out our power. Once our power was restored, we discovered that some of the devices that we had plugged into surge stations somehow failed.

Our wireless router, living room television, Wii, and master bedroom computer are all failing to power up. All of these products have a surge protector on their power cords standard issue, and we have tried plugging them into various outlets, but to no avail. I tried to see if it was something wrong with the power cord itself, and it is; all of the appliances can still function, provided they have power... which we do not have. The surge stations themselves are relatively new, being at most a year old. The stations themselves still work, as well as our aforementioned computer's monitor, internet modem, desk fan, lamp, etc.

Here is a short version:
    • Devices plugged into surge station that already have surge protectors failed, while the station itself and all other appliances without (and some with) survive unscathed.
    • Failing devices receive power when plugged in; however, the cords themselves are providing no power.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Jun 8, 2014, 10:21 AM
    If you have plugged in the electronic devices into a known good outlet without the old serge protector and they did not work it is more likely than not that your serge protector did not protect the devices. Items like lamps and fans are a lot less susceptible to damage from power serges where as the PCBs and components of computers, gaming consoles and TVs are extremely susceptible to this damage. The protection offered by serge protectors is not absolute. Have them checked out by a repair shop, this will help if you plan to file a clame against the serge protectors warranty if your model offers this.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 8, 2014, 10:32 AM
    Also surge protectors run the range from extremely cheaply made to high end ones that have a circut tied to each recepticle. Another problem that you may not have thought about is that there is a huge amount of static electricity associated with lightning. There is almost no protection short of a faraday cage to protect you from that. Most of that depends on proximity to the strike rather then anything that can come down the line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whole house surge protector [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to install a Sycom whole house surge protector in my circuit breaker box, does the dual pole 20 amp breaker need to be in the top position in the circuit breaker box?

Surge Protector [ 2 Answers ]

One circuit during a thunder storm always Affects the clock and TV. They still have power And the breaker does not trip. But I have to be reset the clock, and turn the TV back on. They are on a power strip. Do you think I should use a power strip with a surge protector? Would that make any...

Why would both the surge & ground lights be on on my surge protector, outlet tests OK [ 1 Answers ]

Why would both the surge & ground lights come on and stay on when I plug in and turn on my surge protector? This happens with both a good (expensive) older surge protector and the new one I just bought. I bought a new one after someone suggested my protector wasn't working properly. The new...

Whle House Surge Protector question [ 2 Answers ]

I recently bought a Whole House Surge Protector from Home Depot. Here is a link to the manual for reference. I read on the internet that some people suggest to keep the wires from SPD to the breaker as short as possible, under 1 foot, while other stress the location of the breaker (as close as...

Surge protector: on or off? [ 4 Answers ]

Which is the best protection for a computer from lightning: to uplug the surge protector for the computer from the wall... or to just flip the switch on the surge protector to OFF?

View more questions Search