Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stannel Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2014, 07:52 AM
    Can i retrieve data from a hard drive that i just did a quick format
    Can I retrieve data from a hard drive that I just did a quick format on?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2014, 07:59 AM
    Maybe, maybe not... with the right software and the right knowledge... done the right way... maybe. But any further wrong steps might render some or all of it beyond recovery...by you anyway. A professional could probibly get it...but I highly doubt your personal data is worth the very high cost.

Problem is... if you don't know what you are doing... odds are you will render it less recoverable. If you are asking this... its apparent you have neither.

I would remove the drive... to keep t safe for now. Put another drive in... get some recovery software... put some data over to another drive... do the same thing on it and practice on it until you are comfortable attempting it and getting the results you hope for before you try on the real drive.
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2014, 06:05 PM
    This may be a little late, but I've had good luck with a free program called Recuva.

You may not get everything back, but something is better than nothing.

Good luck,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

System keeps restarting! Need to retrieve files off hard drive! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, I have an XP system that is failing to boot and keeps restarting itself after the windows XP screen and the bar have appeared. Ive now bought an external hard drive enclosure thinking this would enable me to view my files on the hard drive when I plug it into my vista system,...

Retrieve info on hard drive [ 3 Answers ]

How do I retrieve something on the hard drive that I put in the trash on a PC?

How to format a hard drive on a dell desktop with XP home edition and no floppy drive [ 18 Answers ]

How do I format a hard drive on a Dell Dimension 8110 with Windows XP home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when I do I get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after...

I also need to retrieve files from hard drive. [ 3 Answers ]

In follow-up and conjunction with another question posted here, I, too, have a NTFS hard drive from another laptop computer that I need to access/salvage. I have already connected it via a USB drive enclosure (USB 2.0 to IDE). It still did not assign a drive letter; all right-click options are...

How to retrieve data from an old hard drive? [ 1 Answers ]

My old computer crashed. I removed the hard drive from it. I have a new computer with the same operating system (XP) and the same file system (NTFS). How can I retrieve the data from the old hard drive? I understand about making the old drive a "slave" drive but how do I get the system to recognize...

View more questions Search