Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paymenow2014 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2014, 05:48 AM
    My employer won't pay me my first paycheck
    I'm in IL and I just started a job and my employer says he needs more ID than just my SS#. I'm in the process of getting my state ID and state DL. But until I have those as proof of who I am, he will not give me a paycheck. Is that legal?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2014, 05:53 AM
    You don't have any id from another state ID or a Birth Certificate? How are you getting a DL and state ID without any proof of who you are?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 6, 2014, 06:00 AM
    Most employers are required to complete an I9 form to verify employment eligibility. But the law is that you must be paid for any hours you work. So I doubt if it is legal for him to withhold your paycheck pending ID. On the other hand, smoothy poses a valid question. What ID are you using to get your state DL? Why can't you present that so the I9 can be completed?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 7, 2014, 04:37 AM
    It was in fact not legal for him to actually hire you and allow you to work. I will assume you promised to provide ID quickly?

While he may not be able to withhold the money, he could required proof of identy to allow you to pick the check up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer won't pay us (employees last paycheck) [ 4 Answers ]

To make a long story short, a day care that I worked at closed last Monday (09/9/13), and she has stated to all employees that she was going to be unable to give us our last check. She has told everyone I worked with something different on why she can not pay us, she refuses to answer text/email...

How long can an employer hold a paycheck [ 1 Answers ]

My husband employer never makes payroll on time. They work all week and then on payday they can't make payroll. They are always waiting for that big check. Then when the check comes in the office manager (The son of the boss) spends it and the employees don't get paid. He is now over two weeks...

How can I get my former employer to send me my paycheck? [ 2 Answers ]

I worked from 11/19/2007 to 12/02/2007 then they let me go and now they are giving me the run around about my paycheck. I worked 43.36 hours at $8.00/hr. They owe me $348.80. What can I do to get my paycheck?

Who do you call when your employer won't give you your paycheck after termination? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. My boyfriend just put in his two week notice last Friday after finding a better paying job. After six days, there was an investigation done by local detective. Nothing has been concluded so far but it did result in firing 5 people. There is no proof that any of these people did anything...

View more questions Search