Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joetor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2014, 04:33 PM
    Lorazepam
    Hello, up until a month ago I was taking 6 mg of lorazepam a day for six years.
    I did in fact receive professional help to properly ween myself off. I completely feel horrible all the time. My ears ring, my head hurts, and my eye balls feel
    Like they are just hanging on by threads. I just like poop. Suggestions?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 04:59 PM
    Have you discussed this with the medical professionals that were helping you come off the drug.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 05:02 PM
    If you're not feeling well after being weened off this drug, it's best to tell your doctor about it. There's really nothing anyone online can suggest. We don't know your medical history. Your doctor does. He/she is the one to talk to about this.

Good luck. :)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 5, 2014, 05:08 PM
    I don't understand doctors who flat out violate the conditions for giving out drugs. Lorazapam is for SHORT TERM, just a month, or for occasional prn! Yes, I know a lot of people take it, but still, 6 years is much too long, and 6 mg is a high daily amount.

I would not trust this doctor and would find another, and get help for dependence and withdrawal. You should also have some blood work to look for some of the conditions associated with taking it too long. You may be feeling awful for both psychological and physiological reasons (and they are intertwined anyway).

Research alternative ways to help with anxiety or insomnia or whatever the reasons are that you were taking it. Diet, exercise, a walk at dawn helps me - give some thought to what might help you. Put a cool damp cloth on your eyes and lie back to soft music for the sore eye feeling. Go get a massage. Drink tons of fluids, mostly water.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2014, 05:09 PM
    Hi Joetor,

First off, well done on weaning yourself off of the dependence. It can be perfectly normal, albeit not comfortable, for the withdrawal symptoms to last for awhile. For some people it can be a considerable amount of time, with a gradual decrease in the sensations over time. You've had a long term dependence... has your doctor suggested any ways to help so far? If not, seek other support.

If it becomes too bothersome, your doctor should be able to help set you up with others who are working towards the same goal. As with most things in life, having others who share the experience can be tremendously helpful.

One of the best things that you can do to help the process is to get into a regular exercise routine. Join a gym, workout with a friend or family member, go for walks or bike rides, participate in a sport, anything to get moving on a regular (daily) basis. Make other healthy lifestyle choices in the foods and drinks you consume as well. Nutrition can play a key role in furthering your success.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2014, 02:19 AM
    I can't figure out how you got there, I've been on it PRN for quite a while, so I know it's effects.

Ringing in the ears cab be caused by long term anti-biotic use. For, anyone and better yet a doc you can trust needs to know your history.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search