Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 07:17 AM
    Surprised
    I am quite surprised that no one has brought up the subject of Bergdahl's release trade. Having a son in Afghanistan right now, this is very near and dear to me. I'm interested in what you all have to say.

I'm all ears.

Speak up.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 07:22 AM
    Poorly handled by the administration, but it was the correct thing to do. They should have realized the controversy over his desertion and not made a big hoopla out of his release - that was a PR blunder. But as for releasing the 5 Taliban POWs - they would have to be released eventually anyways, since Gitmo sooner or later will have to be closed (or at least the prisoners who have been there for over ten years now will have to be returned at some point). Unless there are some sort of civilian charges that can be brought against them, with the US pulling out of Afghanistan thier continued jailing by the US can't be justified. So if we can get one of ours back for 5 of thiers, so be it. But now that Bergdahl is back - he will have to face the music for his desertion.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2014, 07:23 AM
    I think back to the execution of Pvt. Eddie Slovik. Slovik’s offense: desertion in wartime. This scum deserves the same fate as he committed the very same offense.

That's my thought on the topic... he should not ever be allowed to roam free. The lives of everyone on that post were trusted to him when he was on guard duty and walked away without being releaved.
    Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 07:30 AM
    He was a deserter, a traitor.

Please bare with me, I'm tired after a long, busy 12 hour shift and it is my bedtime. But.. Isn't it written somewhere that deserters of the military, such as this, are to be executed?

I spent my half hour break reading this. Yes, I read and comprehended all 7 pages in 30 minutes. Bowe Bergdahl: America's Last Prisoner of War by Michael Hastings | Politics News | Rolling Stone
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2014, 07:34 AM
    Exactly... Outside of a theater of combat, you are AWOL until its been 30 days THEN you become a deserter. In a combat zone you are a deserter the moment you walk away. THere are no excuses... no need to "intend to stay away" like the talking idiots at the white house and in some of the media have been saying.

I'll try to look up and see if I can't find the Military code that specifies that.

As far as what Rolling Potatoes prints.....they have their own agenda to push.
    Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 07:38 AM
    Smoothy, read the Rolling Stone article I linked. From my understanding he was in a theater of combat and he specifically stated that he was going to walk away. He even asked what could happen to him if he did.

It does feel good, however, to know that his town will not be celebrating his release after all.
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2014, 07:46 AM
    Yes...everything I have heard so far indicated he had every intent to leave as evidencesd by his note, and apparently this was only news to the Administration(in which case they were stupid)....or they were flat out telling lies to everyone. Neither situation is acceptible.

I also am glad to hear that town changed its mind.....but they should never have even planned that party in the first place. It couldn't have been news to them either.

� 885. Art. 85. Desertion

(a) Any member of the armed forces who-
    (1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently; (2) quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service; or (3) without being regularly separated from one of the armed forces enlists or accepts an appointment in the same or another one of the armed forces without fully disclosing the fact that he has not been regularly separated, or enters any foreign armed service except when authorized by the United States;
    is guilty of desertion.

(b) Any commissioned officer of the armed forces who, after tender of his resignation and before notice of its acceptance, quits his post or proper duties without leave and with intent to remain away therefrom permanently is guilty of desertion. (c) Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.

Punitive Articles of the UCMJ (ArmyStudyGuide.com)
    Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 07:53 AM
    So now the question goes to POTUS. Isn't he to give a 30-day notice that he is planning on releasing these prisoners, yet the decision was made within a few hours without notifying the congress or senate.

Please dumb it down for me. I try to keep up with politics, but I don't have the time to sit down and really listen enough for this to sink in.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2014, 07:54 AM
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/curren...ay-793481.html
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 08:00 AM
    No, he should not get a hero's welcome back hoopla/parade, and yes, he was a deserter and should get whatever punishment that merits. I remember hearing he is in poor health (?), but too bad. What oh what was he thinking and how far did he think he would be able to go (to Pakistan?) when he walked away from his platoon?
    Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 08:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    No, he should not get a hero's welcome back hoopla/parade, and yes, he was a deserter and should get whatever punishment that merits. I remember hearing he is in poor health (?), but too bad. What oh what was he thinking and how far did he think he would be able to go (to Pakistan?) when he walked away from his platoon?
    Honestly Carol, that was not the response I was expecting from you, but I totally and completely agree.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Honestly Carol, that was not the response I was expecting from you, but I totally and completely agree.
    And I am totally pi$$ed about the WH PR.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2014, 08:16 AM
    On my post I stated that at least 5 soldiers died in the attempts to find/rescue him. Last night I heard a tally as high as 14 .

IBD also asks : How many Americans lost their lives in the pursuit and capture of these jihadists? How many Afghan and American deaths were they responsible for? How many more will die as the result of their release and their likely return to the battlefield?
    Obama Swaps Taliban Terrorists For Possible Deserter Bowe Bergdahl - Investors.com
    Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 08:17 AM
    No one but me has addressed the question: was trading 5 Taliban the right thing to do to get Bergdahl back, regardless of his desertion? Never mind whether it was good or bad for PR, or why the administration failed to inform Congress - would you have made the same trade?
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2014, 08:19 AM
    I wouldn't have traded a moldy loaf of bread for him.

The moldy loaf of bread has far more value and use.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2014, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    No one but me has addressed the question: was trading 5 Taliban the right thing to do to get Bergdahl back, regardless of his desertion? Never mind whether it was good or bad for PR, or why the administration failed to inform Congress - would you have made the same trade?
    I addressed it in my posting on this subject.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/curren...ay-793481.html

In my view ,this was a 'wag the dog' deflection gone bad.
    Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I wouldn't have traded a moldy loaf of bread for him.

The moldy loaf of bread has far more value and use.
    So you would have condemned him without trial. Seems par for the course.
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2014, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    So you would have condemned him without trial. Seems par for the course.
    He walked off guard duty in a combat zone (that warrants the death penalty under UCMJ code)... left his weapon behind.. as well as a note that he was leaving. He convicted himself.

Also keep in mind he was NOT euqal in value to 5 Taliban commanders. He was a grunt with less than a years service.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2014, 09:53 AM
    and here's a blast from the past circa August 2010 .....

A captured American soldier is training Taliban fighters bomb-making and ambush skills, according to one of his captors and Afghan intelligence officials.
    Private Bowe Bergdahl disappeared in June 2009 while based in eastern Afghanistan and is thought to be the only U.S. serviceman in captivity.
    The 24-year-old has converted to Islam and now has the Muslim name Abdullah, one of his captors told The Sunday Times.
    Bowe Bergdahl: Taliban claim captured U.S. solider is teaching fighters bomb-making skills | Mail Online
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 5, 2014, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    and here's a blast from the past circa August 2010 .....

A captured American soldier is training Taliban fighters bomb-making and ambush skills, according to one of his captors and Afghan intelligence officials.
    Private Bowe Bergdahl disappeared in June 2009 while based in eastern Afghanistan and is thought to be the only U.S. serviceman in captivity.
    The 24-year-old has converted to Islam and now has the Muslim name Abdullah, one of his captors told The Sunday Times.
    Bowe Bergdahl: Taliban claim captured U.S. solider is teaching fighters bomb-making skills | Mail Online
    And that article ends with--

Most of the skills he taught us we already knew,' he said. 'Some of my comrades think he's pretending to be a Muslim to save himself so they wouldn't behead him.'

A coward through and through?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surprised [ 45 Answers ]

My fiancé & I, well ex I guess, live together in an apartment upon her request after I lost my job. She told don't worry about a thing, so I moved in & my name is on the lease. Its been 6mos & have 100s of applications out. So she has paid for everything, but out of the blue she comes up around...

Surprised with an ETG test [ 2 Answers ]

I NEED HELP!! So I went to report and my p.o surprised me with an ETG test! Never taken one before. All my test have been instant reads. I'm go crazy. I drank over 2 weeks and stopped 7 full days before the 8th that I reported. What the hell is going to happen? Do I have any chance in hell? If...

Anyone surprised by Clinton [ 6 Answers ]

Clinton who had led against all prospective GOP opponents earlier this year, a Zogby Poll shows, would lose to every one of the top five Republican presidential contenders if the election was held now. On the other hand, Barack Obama of Illinois and John Edwards of North Carolina would defeat or...

Anyone surprised by Thompson [ 9 Answers ]

For the record, I’m going with “fizzle,” not slide. Is there some media conspiracy to “get” Fred, or has he simply served up, chopped Liver?:p

View more questions Search