Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheNatureGirl Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2014, 11:07 AM
    Can bee hummingbirds live in Pennsylvania?
    I know that they live in North and South America. But do they need to live in a specific climate? For example can they only survive in tropical weather? Or can they live in forests? I was just wondering because it would be a nice thing to see one while I am visiting my summer house in Pennsylvania. Any answers are greatly appreciated,
    TheNatureGirl
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 3, 2014, 11:11 AM
    No, not naturally.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 3, 2014, 11:22 AM
    We have hummingbirds here in PA but not the ones you are asking about. There is actually quite a bit of nature here...I regularly see deer, raccoons, all kinds of birds (even turkeys) and occasionally I see bears walking around...so it really is going to depend on where you're going in PA but you should be able to see something.
    TheNatureGirl Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2014, 12:25 PM
    Thanks odinn7 I really appreciate your response. I have seen a hummingbird once or twice... They are such a sight. Where would these types of hummingbirds normally live?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 3, 2014, 12:48 PM
    They are all around us. I am in Northeastern PA and my mother in law has hummingbird feeders out in her year...we see them all the time in the warmer weather.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 3, 2014, 02:46 PM
    Bee hummingbird is the smallest of the species and can only be found in the forests of Cuba. We do have our own northern hummingbird which is just as beautiful and interesting to watch.

For more information, google Bee Humingbird.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Jun 3, 2014, 05:04 PM
    What is the proper mix of water and sugar for hummers?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 3, 2014, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catonsville View Post
    What is the proper mix of water and sugar for hummers?
    One cup plain white table sugar to four cups of water. Never sub another kind of sugar, and no food colouring
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 3, 2014, 05:19 PM
    Go for it Attracting Hummingbirds — Wildlife Outreach Center — Penn State Extension We have lots of them in Illinois
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2014, 06:33 PM
    We have "attack" squads around some of out HB feeders. I have had 4 or 5 of them at one time although admittedly it is rare. Metro Atlanta

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What date do hummingbirds arrive in southern Missouri [ 1 Answers ]

What date do hummingbirds arrive in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas?

Live in a mobile home with intertherm heat and air unit the unit outside unit has bee [ 1 Answers ]

Live in mobile home with an intertherm unit outside unit is no longer running didn't know if it even needs to be running with the heat

Bumble bee or carpenter bee [ 3 Answers ]

I live in an apartment building on the second floor and every summer I get bees that fly by my window and by the entrance, I think their nest is by the roof how can I get rid of them. I'm afraid my kids might get bitten by them, I don't want to kill them but maybe scare them away, please somebody...

Hummingbirds in East Texas [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know when you are supposed to put your hummingbird feeders in East Texas?

View more questions Search