Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    booksbenji Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2014, 11:28 PM
    SS medical opt refund
    I noticed on my April bank statement that the SS has been taking $104.90 out for Medicare A(Mar, Apr, May). They sent a opt out form, I opt outed May 5th. I did not want Medicare because I'm a Veteran, my VA med copays is about same as Medicare. I could not afford both payments. Could I get a refund on those 3 Medicare payment, could use the $$.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 3, 2014, 03:12 AM
    I don't think you can, because insurance isn't generally retroactive, or people would just wait to see if they need the coverage and get a refund if they don't need it. Plus many seniors do have both VA benefits and are willing to pay for Medicare.

But if you can get to a SS center nearby, it won't hurt to try. Their wheels grind slowly, IF they approve it.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2014, 04:17 AM
    And considering the performance of VA as recently discovered, I would recommending keeping options open, if any way possible. Unless you can prove that an error was made by CMS, I wouldn't hold out much promise for a refund. Their first position is going to be that you had the coverage available and it is not much different than buying coverage retroactively as in having an operation today and buying coverage to pay for it, tomorrow. Obamacare procedures come close to that (discover that you going to need expensive care and quickly get some insurance not having to worry about pre-existing conditions restrictions) but even Obamacare doesn't go that far, but I wouldn't bet that it didn't happen with all the shuffling that went on over the past 5 months.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OPT student Refund [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , My name is Sandeep, I have been on OPT since may and moved from Pittsburgh to California in may to take up a full time job. My annual salary is 100K including bonus and relocation. The Federal tax I have paid for the 7 months that I have worked is around 14k and state CA tax is 5134$. What...

Tax refund on OPT [ 1 Answers ]

I am a F-1 student on OPT from India. I went to 2 agents for my tax returns and they gave different federal amount with 800$ difference. I work full time at employer location and have not moved . I work at same location where I studied. I want to get a clarification. I see that one of my agents...

Us tax refund for former opt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was on my opt during 2008-2009 and worked till July 2009. I was wondering how I can file taxes for the months I have worked in 2009 since I do not reside in the states anymore. How are the tax laws for international students that worked in the states and left afterwards. Would they...

Regarding the Tax refund on OPT [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I just started my OPT on Oct 21st'2008. I am also working as a full time employee on OPT. I also purchased a used car and I have paid tax on it. I would like to know that is the tax paid on car under OPT refunded back. Also how % of federal tax is deducted from the monthly pay check.

SS/Medicare refund on OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I entered US in August 2001. I was on my OPT (Student VISA) till Oct 2004 and then on my H1B. My Social Security and Medicare were deducted on my OPT . For my 2004 tax return I filed 1040A form. I used the software taxact and I did not realize that I have to file 1040NR. To get the...

View more questions Search