Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alanalov Posts: 88, Reputation: 2

Apr 4, 2007, 07:55 PM
    Guy, Way Too Close!
    I've known this guy for a couple of months now but I don't know him that much. We've only had a few conversations. The thing is that whenever he talks to me, he comes really close too me. Really close, you know when you feel someone's invading your personal space. That's it.
    Why is he "acting" this way? Doesn't he know it might make me feel uncomfortable? What's with this proximity? Not only with me, but with other girls too. He's 23 by the way
    finessed1 Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Is something wrong with him? Doesn't he know that invading someone's personal space can get you hurt these days? You should say something... something polite, though. Don't just let it slide because who knows where he will go. Good luck
    HipHipHooray Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Apr 5, 2007, 02:36 AM
    Yeah, some people are just like that, they don't have an awareness of how they might be making people uncomfortable.

One of my lecturer's is like that. I prefer not to ask him questions as he'll answer then within inches of my face.

Maybe you could hint it to him humourously? Good luck pulling it off :P

Apr 5, 2007, 04:21 PM
    I did! I told him once... "distance! please :D :p" in a funny way
    I think he's a player and my friend thinks he likes me, don't know what to believe
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 5, 2007, 04:50 PM
    You can do what one of my instructors did to an employer of hers.

She outlined a box around herself in front of him and said that was her space. Could he please be mindful of her space as she did not feel comfortable with people getting so close to her.
    kristynn Posts: 502, Reputation: 66

Apr 6, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Maybe he likes you... he's maybe testing you.

But you say he does the same thing to other girls, so I can't really confirm this.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Personal space is a personal thing.

Everybody has a different level of tolerance.

Joe

Apr 6, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Thanks guys Actually, to be honest, I don't really mind his behaviour. The only thing I wanted to know is your opinions, jut to help me understand his behaviour. But him being this way actually hepled me feeling more comfortable w/ him. It seems that proximity helps when you get to know someone knew... but I've never someone like him before so this is why I was a bit puzzled a bit at first. Thanks
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2007, 12:34 PM
    I hear you... I honestly don't understand it either. But I think culture makes a different too. Like in Japan and other asian countries, there is no such a obvious personal space, so is he not an american? Well, if he is american, then I can't answer this question, but if I were you, I'll tell him to "back off" as you did in a funny way... I won't mistake he likes me. I just think his action is not responsible and misleads people!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bi guy falls for straight guy [ 6 Answers ]

Im a 34 yrs old and realized I'm bi sexual have not crossed over yet but very much on the move. 6 months I've been real close to a guy whom I've known for almost 20 years but do to the difference in age (hes 8yrs younger) we've just connected deeply over the past summer. The past month he's come...

So far yet so close [ 6 Answers ]

My boy friend and I have been going out for about 2 years now... I met him online playing a game of pool. He lives in australia and I live in canada. He flew over to meet me face to face and we've been going steady since then... he just recently proposed to me. But when we spend like a week...

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

Will they ever close up? [ 4 Answers ]

Currently, I have 7 piercings in my ears. I have my first ones done when I was 8 and they were crooked (they never closed up from me poking earrings through them), so I had them re-pierced at 10 and they are also crooked. My second ones were pierced at 12 and one of those is crooked, and my third...

Girlfriend best friend is a guy,one of my close friends [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with my friend. He has a girlfriend who is best friends with my girlfriend.And... My girlfriend helps my friend out all the time... but I'm worried that they will fall for each other and will start their own relationship. I told my friend how I felt about this but he says she's the...

View more questions Search