Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jun 2, 2014, 11:53 AM
    None VAT tax invoice
    Sometimes items I purchase from Amazon do not have sales tax withheld and the invoice has the statement: "Please note: This is not a VAT invoice."

Does that mean the purchase is not subject to sales tax?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 2, 2014, 12:43 PM
    If you are purchasing an item made in the UKfrom Amazon, the 'value added tax' or VAT tax is not charged if purchase is under 22€ (pounds sterling)
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Jun 2, 2014, 01:21 PM
    Thanks for the response. But to clarify, I am in the US. Which makes the statement somewhat curious. But as Amazon normally withholds sales tax, but sometimes doesn't it must have a US meaning. I just don't know what.
    Expert

Jun 2, 2014, 02:59 PM
    I know you are in the US, Virginia; not so curious now. This is what your info says. VAT tax is European, GST (goods and services tax) the same thing is Canadian. Good you didnt have to pay tax of any kind. We get it with l5 per cent in Ontario on anything, so consider yourself lucky!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 2, 2014, 04:04 PM
    Sales tax on Internet purchases are (I believe) up to the individual states.
    Expert

Jun 2, 2014, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    Sales tax on Internet purchases are (I believe) up to the individual states.
    VAT tax is specific to the UK and other EU countries; is not in the States.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trading customer invoice with vendor invoice - no money exchanged: how do I post this [ 0 Answers ]

My customer paid his invoice but deducted the amount owed to him by us on his vendor invoice to us. How do I post this?

Vat [ 1 Answers ]

X Ltd has recently purchased supplies from xyz Ltd for $250 less 20% trade discount, plus 17.5% vat, XYZ LTD allows 2.5% cash discount for the payment within 7 days of the receipt of the invoice,Net amount is due for payment by ABC Ltd.

Ndian company obliged to deduct tax at source before it pays the invoice with foreign [ 1 Answers ]

Is indian company obliged to deduct tax at source before it pays the invoice of foreign malaysian company?

Tax deduction on foreign company invoice [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a S-Corp which is mainly engaged in web site design and software development for US customers. I am going to sign an agreement with a foreign company located in India for web site design works. Foreign company will invoice me for the services. All work will be performed outside the US....

View more questions Search