Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Helpwithtrees Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2014, 11:50 AM
    Bark damage on young tree
    The city installed a 3 inch Norway maple on our property to replace a huge tree they cut down for a storm sewer project. The bark on the tree was scraped in several two inch gouges and the installers hit the truck tree times with a shovel to "get the water off". We fear that this tree will not survive with so much damage to the bark and think it should be replaced. What do you think?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 2, 2014, 12:53 PM
    I'm surprised that they planted a Norway maple! They are considered an invasive now, and not desirable at all except on city sidewalks, where they are surrounded by concrete.
    I wouldn't worry about it. They are very hardy. You could put in writing what they did and submit it to the town, maybe even getting a copy notarized for each of you.
    If I were going to complain, it would be to demand a tree that won't take over with seedlings over several years. They take over! Sounds like they got the cheapest tree they could.
    If you need someone to verify this where you live, contact your state ag extension. Look on your state website.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2014, 01:08 PM
    Norway maples are notorious for surface roots and nothing will grow under them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

City damage to tree. [ 3 Answers ]

A couple months ago my car skid on ice on a curve.the car then appointed a full 180 degrees an knocked down a tree owned by the city. Today I just more got a letter in mail about an accident. I Am curious to know how it will cost me for the damage done to the tree. The tree was a small skinny tree...

Property Damage from Diseased Tree [ 1 Answers ]

Along the back of my property, but not on my property, are a row of 8 Lombardy Poplar trees. In August of this year, I asked a tree expert to look at them as I felt they were dying and posed a serious threat to my home and property. The tree expert confirmed that had a type of rot and leaf blight...

The bark of my mulberry tree has somehow been removed from all around the base 4" [ 13 Answers ]

My Mulberry tree has suddenly lost it's leaves, I examined and discovered a 4 inch bark removal around the trunk at the ground.

My puppy eats the bark from the planters and later throws up nothing but bark. [ 3 Answers ]

My puppy eats the decrative bark from the planters and then throws it up. Is this bad for her

Tree damage [ 1 Answers ]

There is a Linden Tree on my block that has a condition, whereby the bark has been stripped in a patch or two, small insects can be seen underneath the bark and one patch has has a small cut into the trunk. It does not appear to be Asian Beetle, but I am not an expert. Does anyone know? I would...

View more questions Search