Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pghleftee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2014, 06:56 AM
    Bubbling coming up from the toilet when the laundry water drains
    I have an old house with a septic tank. Lately we have noticed bubbling coming up from the toilet and a slow drain of the toilet when the laundry water is draining into the laundry sink. Also, we notice gurgling coming from both the bath tub and from the kitchen sink. We have snaked the toilet with a six foot auger and it was totally clear. I also climbed onto the roof and ran a hose down the vent and ran the water in it for a while, and it seemed clear as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 1, 2014, 09:13 AM
    Sound like you have multiple problems. The bubbles in your toilet indicates a blowback caused by a partial blockage.
    The gurgles tell me that you have blocked vents that are attempting to vent through the traps.
    The solution would be to rent a sewer machine and go up on the roof and snake the roof vents. On each roof vent put out enough snake to reach the base and 15 more feet. Good luck, Tom
    pghleftee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2014, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Sound like you have multiple problems. The bubbles in your toilet indicates a blowback caused by a partial blockage.
    The gurgles tell me that you have blocked vents that are attempting to vent through the traps.
    The solution would be to rent a sewer machine and go up on the roof and snake the roof vents. On each roof vent put out enough snake to reach the base and 15 more feet. Good luck, Tom

Thanks. I think my problem is that I only have one vent. I was trying to figure out how to add another one.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 1, 2014, 10:04 AM
    [QUOTE]I think my problem is that I only have one vent.[/Q when we install our vents the contractor will sometimes stipulate that only one vent pipe comes out of the roof. In that case we connect all the vents in the attic to one pipe and that is what you see upon the roof. Plumbers hate this because we have to haul all our equipment up in the attic, locate the correct vent and cut it open to run our snake. It is difficult for a plumber. For a homeowner it is almost impossible. Go up in the attic and check. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell coming from toilet/laundry room [ 0 Answers ]

Our first floor toilet/laundry room has had sewage smells coming through at random times for the last 4-5 months. We have a septic system that was recently pumped. A plumber told us it was probably a loose seal so we finally replaced the old toilet a few days ago and the odor is still there.The...

Bubbling toilet and drains [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an apartment building on the main floor and my toilet and sinks have begun to bubble anytime water is poured down the drain. Water also backed up into my washing machine. Any advice or useful information? Thanks.

Toilet Water Bubbling [ 1 Answers ]

When my washer drains the wate in the basement toilet and the upstairs toilet bubbles. Toilet almost over flows when flushed if washer is in use. What can be causing this problem?

Toilet bubbling after washing machine drains [ 1 Answers ]

My basement toilet bubbles after the washing machine in the basement drains. Now, the toilet flushes but doesn't drain at it's normal rate, the water level rises almost to the very edge of the toilet bowl, then slowly returns almost to the normal level. I've tried almost everything from liquid...

View more questions Search