Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sara2020 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2014, 01:52 PM
    How to remove driver off car registration
    When I first bought my car I had both my name and my moms name on the car registration for insurance reasons, but I have since moved out and pay the car all on my own and would like to have just my name on the registration. How do I do that? And is there a way to do it online? I would also like to know if I can get a copy of the title online?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 30, 2014, 02:02 PM
    The process varies by state. I suggest doing some online research at your state's DMV web site, and if after that you have any questions please ask. However, since your mother is a co-owner of the car, to remove her name will require that she sign some sort of form relinquishing her ownership so that a new title can ve issued. And no, I'm pretty sure it can't be done on line.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 30, 2014, 02:47 PM
    I can guarantee it can't be done online... proof of identity has to be presented as well as the title to prove its your car and you are who you claim.. If you financed it and it has a lien... its not going to happen until the lien is released. Also, registrationa and title are two differnt things....I've never seen two names on a registration....but on a title its common.

I think you meant to say TITLE....not the tags (registration).
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

May 30, 2014, 03:11 PM
    Two names on Registration Card and Title in my state. It helps Police in running down stolen cars, say a Guy is driving in a car registered to a woman maybe a red flag? In one case it is good to have both names on regis. and bad in other ways
    Like you get into an accident and both names on car both are liable for suit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 30, 2014, 04:05 PM
    Any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

You need to clarify whether you are referring to registration or title. They are different items. If mom was put on the car for insurance purposes have you priced out coverage if you have her removed?
    sara2020 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2014, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

You need to clarify whether you are referring to registration or title. They are different items. If mom was put on the car for insurance purposes have you priced out coverage if you have her removed?
    I am already on my own insurance policy now with just my name
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 30, 2014, 04:36 PM
    You didn't answer our questions. What state is this and are you referring to title or registration or both?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding Car Registration and Car Insurance (Quebec, Canada)- Urgent [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Quebec, Canada. Is it possible for a senior citizen, who had her 23 yr. old car picked up for scrap, and is no longer with a license, still able to have another car (new) registered to her name, but have another family member be the main driver of the automobile? My 83 yr.old Mother had...

Car accident, insuranced car with non-covered driver, other driver injured, suing... [ 2 Answers ]

I got into a car accident in a intersection with stop sign on my side. I stopped at the stop sign, checked left and right and then tried to pass the avenue but unluckily got hit by another female driver. My car (my girlfriend's actually) turned 180 degrees the opposite side after the accident. I...

I need to remove the inside driver panel to replace the driver window switch 2003 exp [ 0 Answers ]

Want to remove the inside driver panel to replace window power switch on for 2003 explorer xlt

View more questions Search