Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jim40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2014, 12:02 PM
    Need help identifying wires in junction box
    I'm trying to put a light fixture on a junction box that was designed for a ceiling fan. The box has a single black wire, a single tan colored wire, and another black and white wire that have been soldered together. I have tried hooking the lights black and white wires to the combination of wires, but it hasn't worked yet. Suggestions?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 30, 2014, 12:10 PM
    Sounds like you have a feed and a switch loop. Have you tried black to black and white to tan (which I assume was white at one time)?
    AnswerMan5000 Posts: 186, Reputation: 3

Jun 3, 2014, 06:04 PM
    How about this guide for installing a ceiling fan by wire color?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I connect a track light with 3 wires to a junction box with 7 wires? [ 1 Answers ]

The track light has a white wire; black wire; and a green wire The junction box has 7 wires: 1white wire and 1black wire together on one side; next to it is 1 white wire and 1 black wire together. On the other side is 1 black, 1 white, 1 red wires together A ceiling light is connected to...

Junction box with 4 black and white wires and two green wires [ 0 Answers ]

I am installing a ceiling fan in the bedroom. The juction box in the ceiling has 4 black and white wires coming into it. Two of the 4 black and white wires have a green wire also. The wires coming from the ceiling are as follow: black wire, white wire, green wire and black and white wire. I hooked...

The existing circuit is 15A with 14-2 going to the junction box, all the wires out o [ 1 Answers ]

The breaker in the panel is a 15A with 14-2 wire leading out to the junction box, at the junction box all (3) other wires leading out are 12-2. (They go to wall switches & lights, running computers, tv's and stuff like that.) Is there any problem with this current wiring?

3 supply wires coming into 1 junction box [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hang a light that has only two copper wires (just a plain brown cord wire that is split and stripped) to a junction box that has 3 separate power supply lines coming into it. Two lines are coming in through one hole on one side and another on the other side. Each supply line has a...

Joining wires in a junction box [ 1 Answers ]

In wiring a house, I have each room's wiring pulled to a junction box in the attic. Each junction box will be a circuit, with a home run going from the junction box to the panel. There are more wires than a single wire nut can join. Do I use jumpers to group the entire bunch so that that all...

View more questions Search