Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerika7712 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2014, 11:02 AM
    Terminating Parental Rights
    I have an 11 month old daughter and I need advice on what to do concerning the birth father. First: my fiancée is not the birth father but we have been living together for over a year and he has helped me raise my daughter. Treats her like she is his. And we are getting married. 2: the birth father is very flighty. He ignored any attempts at contact with him while I was pregnant and saw his daughter one time at the hosptial to sign the birth certificate and then I didn't hear from him again until 2 months later. He will go months without seeing his daughter and during that time ignores all of my calls and texts. This past time he is ignoring all of my calls and texts and threatened to call the cops when I went over to his house to talk to him so I had to leave. I want him to terminate his parental rights but he refuses to do so. Is there anything I can do? I live in Norfolk VA and am 20 years old.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 30, 2014, 11:07 AM
    FIle for child support...

Since child support ends if the child is adopted... thats a huge incentive to allow it to happen.

That's the only way his parental rights are going to be terminated,. because he's obviously no threat to the child.

Adoption rules vary somewhat....but most of them require you to be married.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2014, 01:11 PM
    It doesn't really matter that he won't terminate his rights because he can't. Have you gone to court to get an order for child support? That would be the first thing you need to do if you haven't yet. Then, I don't know about VA but in most states you will need to be married for a period, generally a year, before your husband can petition the court to adopt the child. So, what you need to do is first get child support set up (if you haven't already), then get married, then shop around for an attorney because I will never ever recommend trying adoption without one. The bio father can still fight for his rights and go to court to ask for visitation. That is his decision to make. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to force him to be part of the child's life. On a side note I wouldn't want to force anyone into my child's life.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 30, 2014, 04:00 PM
    There is this myth that a parent can just give up or terminate parental rights. But its just a myth. Only a court can issue a TPR and courts are very reluctant to do so. The only way you will get his rights terminated is via a step parent adoption. Which will mean that after you are married your husband can then petition to adopt the child.

In the meantime, document your attempts to get him to visit. And yes, you should go to court for child support. At the least, it will provide him with an incentive to agree to the adoption.

I would start shopping around for an attorney now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2014, 02:06 AM
    After you and your fiancée are married, you can have him attempt to adopt, and then, the birth father can sign over rights to allow adoption... He can not just sign over rights any other time.

If eh does not wish to, you can not normally make him.

Have you filed for child support, is it being enforced. Sometimes that helps make them more willing to allow the adoption
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 31, 2014, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If eh does not wish to, you can not normally make him.
    But that doesn't mean that the court cannot terminate the father's rights, and allow the adoption, anyway.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 31, 2014, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    But that doesn't mean that the court cannot terminate the father's rights, and allow the adoption, anyway.
    Which is why I suggested that you document your attempts to get him to visit. The more you can show the court that he has not been exercising his parental rights, the better chance you have of a court granting the adoption. But they will not sever his rights except to clear the way for an adoption, at least from what you have said.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Terminating parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter's father wants to voluntarily terminate his rights all of a sudden. Before he has always said "I want to be a part of my daughter's life." That he will always want to be involved with her and her well being and such and such.. Everything that a good father would say... Well he got...

Terminating parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

My child's father has not provide any financial support or seen her in 3 months. What are the requirements in Texas to terminate his parental rights? His parents hasn't seen her but once since her birth, neither calls to check on her and provides no financial assistance how can I terminate her...

Terminating Parental Rights without terminating obligation [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if a father's parental rights can be terminated without terminating his support obligation. I live in Georgia and have sole legal and physical custody of our daughter. At this moment, my exhusband owes me over $45,000 in back child support. He hasn't had any contact with our 12...

Terminating parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

Wondering if anyone out there has been in this situation and has any advice for me... any help or words of incouragement would be greatly appreciated. Me and my husband of 3 years would like to start adoption papers where he can adopt my daughter which is 5. her father hasn't seen her or attempted...

Terminating Parental Rights [ 29 Answers ]

I Am A Single Mother In Ca Of A 4 Year Old Daughter. Her Dad Hasn't Seen Her Since 2003 And Only Has Seen Her 3 Times In Her Life. I Want To Know If Terminating His Rights Is Going To Affect Receiving Child Support. Also, How Would I Go About Terminating His Rights? Thank You, Alicia

View more questions Search