Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notcoolenough Posts: 95, Reputation: 7

May 28, 2014, 11:11 PM
    Broke And Trying To go To College
    After a major set back a while ago, I found myself homeless and broke until a gracious couple asked me to live with them rent free while I got my life back together.

I decided to take this opportunity and apply for school. My fees were paid through a California program called BOG and I also was granted financial aid.

Today my roommates sat me down to tell me they can't continue having me stay here. They are doing horrible financially as well and barely able to keep the apartment. Unless a miracle happens and I get a job ASAP, I will be unable to help them out financially and back to fend for myself while going to school unless I make the choice to drop out. i have no family here and one friend who is unable to house me.

I am new to financial aid and as far as info goes, they aren't very forthcoming. I do not know how much I will be getting and when and I am hoping I can use it to pay rent here as long as I can somehow find the money to keep me here until then.

My question would be whether this is a feasible option. I made sure to let FAFSA know that I am living off campus. I recall having an ex friend that used her financial aid to pay her rent. I do not imagine it paid for all of it though.

What are my options while I keep my fingers crossed in hopes I land a job and come across some money within the next couple of weeks? Are there any programs out there or people in my situation?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 29, 2014, 12:59 PM
    So you take the financial aid money and pay the rent? How do you pay for tuition and books?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 29, 2014, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    So you take the financial aid money and pay the rent? How do you pay for tuition and books?
    Depending on the loans, some people will ask for more than the cost of tuition and books, and then use part of it to live on, pay off a bill, etc. Obviously it means that they will having larger student loans to pay back once they complete their studies.

* notcoolenough... have you asked at the school you will be attending about the time line for when the loan might be disbursed? Also, often time universities or colleges will have boards with notices of other students looking for roommates to share the cost of off campus living. You might inquire about the possibility of increasing your loan amount to cover the cost of living on campus... or, if that isn't possible this late (is this for the summer or fall semester?), you might have to take as few classes as you can to still be able to receive the loan amount and use the rest for living expenses. This will likely require you to start looking for part-time employment as well. You might start looking for job opportunities on campus or places around the school. Now could be a good time as many students living locally might take the summer off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broke up with girlfriend because of college, but still in love with her [ 8 Answers ]

Okay so my girlfriend (ex girlfriend now) left for a university two months ago. We dated for 6 months and we never argued or stuff like that. Her university is 2 hours away from me and I was going to make a trip to visit her every other weekend. After 3 weeks if being there she asked me for a...

Mutually Broke Up for College... didn't exactly go as planned [ 19 Answers ]

First of all, I should begin by saying I'm not one to turn to message boards for help or support, so this is new to me, but I'm not sure what else to do. I dated a girl for almost 2 years before we had to separate for college. It was a mutual decision because both of us knew that trying to have...

Broke up with me because of college? [ 5 Answers ]

So we started dating towards the end of senior year and we both love each other very much. She wanted to keep in contact through college, I asked to make sure this is what she wanted for a week and she said yes. I raised up some money to visit her at least once a week this summer because, well, I...

My girlfriend and I broke up after 2.5 years for college [ 4 Answers ]

And I've read a lot of the threads about how to handle break-ups and all of the NC rules, but I don't know, probably because I'm deluded into thinking, like everyone else, that my situation is somehow different, but I figure I may as well ask. So my ex-girlfriend and I met about three years ago,...

College student w/o w-2 but can I file tax to get college tuition credits back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a college student with no job income(no W-2 form) but do have few dollars of interest earned from saving account(1099-INT form). I know I do not have to file tax return since the income is extremely low. But I heard if I file tax return then I can get few hundreds of college tuition...

View more questions Search