Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    srasmussen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2014, 11:53 AM
    A deceased child then living means what?
    In a will that states "I divide into as many equal shares as there are living children of mine and deceased children of mine with issue then living" - does that mean only living children at the time of the will or would it allow a child who died several years ago before the will was drafted a share in the will?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 27, 2014, 11:58 AM
    IF they had children or a spouse that survives it would keep them included. E.G. 4 children... one of which is deceased... they had a child themselves... if that wasn't specifically stated as such.. the three surviving kids would get a third... but the grandchild of the deceased would get nothing instead of 25%.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 27, 2014, 12:13 PM
    The significant time would be the date of death of the decedent; the date the will was written doesn't really matter. So the shares are determined with reference to who is alive at the time of decedent's death.

If decedent had issue (a child, grand-child, etc.) who died before decedent wrote the will, decedent should have named that person specifically. If he or she didn't, the presumption is that the previously dying person's issue do not inherit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 27, 2014, 01:46 PM
    The way I read that clause. Any living children at the time of death, along with any issue of children still living share equally.

Lets use an example. The testator had 5 children. Of those 5 children only three survive him. However, he has a grandchild from one of the children who died. So the estate is split 4 ways. But if that one child had 2 children, then they would split a one quarter share.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2014, 05:57 PM
    After having read it four or five times, I'm reading it the same as Scott. Is the attorney that drew up the will still in practice? If so, is s/he would probably be a good resource to ask. Depending on how old the will is s/he may not remember that particular will specifically but they (generally) would have a good idea after reading it again.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 27, 2014, 06:07 PM
    I'm reading it the same as Scott as well. The phrase " living children of mine and deceased children of mine with issue then living", means any children of the deceased, and any grandchildren of his deceased children that are living. Okay, that may be even more confusing. Any children of his. If he has deceased children that had children of their own, any of those grandchildren that are still living, get a share of the will.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2014, 04:50 AM
    I think the clause is clear that his surviving children and grandchildren get a share. What I think is less clear, but the way I read it, is that the estate is divided equally among among his children, only if they have surviving grandchildren, and that his grandchildren share only their parents share.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 28, 2014, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I think the clause is clear that his surviving children and grandchildren get a share. What I think is less clear, but the way I read it, is that the estate is divided equally among among his children, only if they have surviving grandchildren, and that his grandchildren share only their parents share.

I agree. A share goes to each "deceased children of mine with issue then living"; to be divided among those grandchildren (issue of a deceased child). So, using Scott's example, if testator is survived by three of his or her children, and if there is one deceased child with issue still living at the time of the testator's death, the estate would be divided into four equal shares, and the fourth share would be divided among those grandchildren.

Quote Originally Posted by stinawords View Post
    After having read it four or five times, I'm reading it the same as Scott. Is the attorney that drew up the will still in practice? If so, is s/he would probably be a good resource to ask. Depending on how old the will is s/he may not remember that particular will specifically but they (generally) would have a good idea after reading it again.
    No, there is really no ambiguity, so the attorney's testimony as to what testator intended is not relevant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father recently deceased I was living with them there are three siblings however one [ 1 Answers ]

Ok have living with my father for eight months. My mother passed away 8 yrs ago. My father passed awat July 14 2012.one of the siblings has charged against his bank gord. Stole money out of his home. Took his wedding ring off his finger and wore it. Took atm card fbrom his wallet and took money. My...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

What is fla law regarding bio child of a now deceased parent if the child was legally [ 4 Answers ]

Child residing in fla was legally adopted by the spouse of his divorced mom--recently bio father died intestate is the child still entitled under 732.108 statute

Deceased spouse who was living abroad may owe you.S. Back taxes [ 7 Answers ]

My husband died in May, 2010. He had dual Canadian/US citizenship. We lived and worked in the U.S. for about 27 years. I am Canadian and still hold a U.S. green card. When we returned to Canada at the beginning of 2008, we didn't file taxes in the U.S. Last week, my deceased husband received...

What are the laws on inheritance for children of a deceased parent with a living spou [ 2 Answers ]

My brother and I are the only living children of my mother. She passed in 07. Her husband, our step father adopted us as children. Therefore he is our father leagally. The property he and my mother owned together is being mortgaged away to support his gambling habit. He tried to do a reverse...

View more questions Search