Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RhapsodyReaper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2014, 02:45 PM
    Should I take an emergency contraceptive?
    So I've been on birth control for years now, and last night I forgot to take it as I wasn't feeling well (I usually take it around 2am, my work schedule is odd). My husband and I had unprotected sex this morning, me forgetting I forgot my pill last night. I took it immediately afterwards, but it was a good 8 hours after I was supposed to.

My question is, should I go out and take Plan B, the emergency contraceptive? He didn't finish inside me, but I know there's always a small chance pregnancy could happen. I'm on my 'Green' week in my pills, as in I'm supposed to start my period tomorrow. And I think Plan B can sometimes make your periods late...

Sorry for the question, I've just been really stressed lately with work and I don't want to add this on top of it. And I hate to overload my hormones if I don't have to, you know?

Thanks for any advice!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2014, 04:31 PM
    Your normal pills are never 100 percent effective, so even if you had taken the pill on time, there is still a small chance of pregnancy. The morning after pill is less and less effective the longer you wait to take it. The morning after pill has various side effects one of them can cause you to miss a period for one or two months.
    And other side effects also.

You are fairly safe at this point, but again, nothing is 100 percent.
    chloe085 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2014, 02:44 PM
    If I were you I would want to be doubly sure and take the morning after pill too. Also if I am never to sure I walk into my local chemist and ask to speak to the pharmacist, they'll help. If you do decide to take it you need to take it before 72hrs after intercourse. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emergency Contraceptive [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I had sex on day 3 of my period (I have a 21 day cycle) without contraceptive although we used the pull-out method. I'm worried that I could ovulate soon and decided to use a "morning after pill". I have birth control on hand (recently became sexually active so I'm not currently on the...

Emergency contraceptive [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Dr, can I use norethindrone(.35mg) tablets as an emergency contraceptive. If yes, on what dosage and frequency? Thanks.

Emergency contraceptive [ 0 Answers ]

I had unprotected sex with my hubby on 1st jan night and on 2nd I got periods.should I take a emergency contraceptive pill like Unwanted-72?

Emergency Contraceptive [ 2 Answers ]

I had to take the next step pill because the condom came off during sex... I took the first one the day after and I forgot to take the second until 24 hours later... to make matters worse I am ovulating... am I in danger of becoming pregnant?

Emergency Contraceptive [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I was on my period last Sunday had sex with a condom and the condom broke. So I only took the emergency contraceptive on Monday (Afternoon). My period stopped on Tuesday then all of a sudden I got my period again last night (Friday). How is this possible or is it just the ECP? Please...

View more questions Search