Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lady H Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2014, 06:33 PM
    Backache during pregnancy
    I am 11 weeks pregnant, my last ultrasound show that everything was fine.. the baby is growing as it should be.. but I am having backache most of the time.. especially when I lay down.. is it normal to have backache during early pregnancy?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 26, 2014, 07:13 AM
    Hi Lady H,

Yes, unfortunately backaches can be very common in early pregnancy. There are a number of things that you can try, but posture is going to be an important factor, especially as your pregnancy progresses. Just a few ideas:

* try pelvic rocks... while sitting or standing, rock your lower pelvis forward, pressing out the small of your back
    * try a body pillow, or a few regular pillows tuck around you when you are sleeping... one pressed up to the small of your back may be helpful
    * look into pregnancy massage now and then
    * check the type of shoes you wear during the day... make sure that you have good support. If you wear high heels, limit the time that you wear them as they will through off your posture even more.
    * have a warm bath or shower before bedtime
    * some women will find relief by wearing a pregnancy belt that helps to support the lower back.
    * ask your partner for back rubs or counter pressure... where steady pressure is applied to the area that hurts.
    * try not to stand or sit for long periods... if your daily activity requires such, take breaks to walk around
    * try a heating pad
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 26, 2014, 07:16 AM
    Doula's advice is perfect. I would only like to add one thing. Increase your fluid intake. More water, don't chew ice.

During the summer months, pregnant women tend to get dehydrated easily. Muscles, tendons and ligaments need fluid. When dehydrated, even the tiniest but, we tend to have muscle aches. That includes backaches.
    Lady H Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2014, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Hi Lady H,

Yes, unfortunately backaches can be very common in early pregnancy. There are a number of things that you can try, but posture is going to be an important factor, especially as your pregnancy progresses. Just a few ideas:

* try pelvic rocks... while sitting or standing, rock your lower pelvis forward, pressing out the small of your back
    * try a body pillow, or a few regular pillows tuck around you when you are sleeping... one pressed up to the small of your back may be helpful
    * look into pregnancy massage now and then
    * check the type of shoes you wear during the day... make sure that you have good support. If you wear high heels, limit the time that you wear them as they will through off your posture even more.
    * have a warm bath or shower before bedtime
    * some women will find relief by wearing a pregnancy belt that helps to support the lower back.
    * ask your partner for back rubs or counter pressure... where steady pressure is applied to the area that hurts.
    * try not to stand or sit for long periods... if your daily activity requires such, take breaks to walk around
    * try a heating pad
    Thank you so much.. this is really helpful...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Missed period, backache, implantation bleeding? [ 4 Answers ]

I was sexually active, until we broke up a few days ago. I was on the pill losetrin*20 and to start with I was really lazy with it. I would take it for example 2pm one day and the next day at 6pm (I know this was stupid) That lasted for the first month then after that I took it at 4:15pm every...

Spotting backache 8 weeks pregnant [ 5 Answers ]

I am 8 weeks pregnant today, for the past 5 days I have had spotting that comes and goes ranging from dark red to pink to brown. For the last two days I have had a severe backache that will either bring tears to my eyes or make me vomit and then last night got a 100 degree temp and chills. I might...

Persistent backache and pelvic pain [ 5 Answers ]

I'm around 10 weeks pregnant now .But yesterday I had severe headache ,nausea etc. and today from morning I'm having pain in the lower back and the groin and pelvic area which last for a minute or two but it's persistent .I had this problem initially when I conceived and I talked to my Doctor about...

View more questions Search