Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccordy30 Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2014, 07:55 AM
    Is it smart or safe to drive to Ft Sill Ok from Homestead Florida?
    Being that I know nothing about flying rates, and I don't have much money. Is it smart to rent a car and drive to Fort Sill Oklahoma from Homestead Florida with 2 drivers?

Cheap but safe Air Flights. Any recommendations?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 25, 2014, 08:06 AM
    Check out flight schedules and rates on sites such as Kayak. In some cases, it can be cheaper to fly than to drive, not to mention much faster. Compare that with the cost of car rental and fuel, not to mention stops along the way if you are not driving straight through.

You are looking at over 1500 miles of driving. Have the two drivers driven much distance before? Do you have to be there by a certain time? It can be done in about 24 hours, and two drivers could keep the car moving round the clock, but that would be pretty grueling if you aren't use to it.

If you can take your time getting there, it can be a great drive. Plenty of people take roads trips everyday.

Safety wise... rent from a well known company. You can drive just during the day if you want. Stick to main roads where you have more facilities for making stops along the way. Check the weather ahead of where you plan to go. Was there something in particular that you were concerned about safety wise?

May 25, 2014, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Check out flight schedules and rates on sites such as Kayak. In some cases, it can be cheaper to fly than to drive, not to mention much faster. Compare that with the cost of car rental and fuel, not to mention stops along the way if you are not driving straight through.

You are looking at over 1500 miles of driving. Have the two drivers driven much distance before? Do you have to be there by a certain time? It can be done in about 24 hours, and two drivers could keep the car moving round the clock, but that would be pretty grueling if you aren't use to it.

If you can take your time getting there, it can be a great drive. Plenty of people take roads trips everyday.

Safety wise... rent from a well known company. You can drive just during the day if you want. Stick to main roads where you have more facilities for making stops along the way. Check the weather ahead of where you plan to go. Was there something in particular that you were concerned about safety wise?
    Safety wise It's not really my concern. I am trying to get to my Fiancé Basic Training graduation sometime in July but no exact date. I would rather fly because Iam sure it's faster, And this will be MY FIRST TIME FLYING :-)but my money is very short. I must get there or she will be very dissapointed in me. So if I can't find any luck in the flights, my brother and I will hit the road. I know nothing so basically I will be going where ever gps takes us. I think I will have about 650.00 total to travel with but I will have no way to get around once I get to fort sill Oklahoma in which is another reason I chose to drive UNLESS you know of any places that has a rental car package deal. I am new to this please help!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 25, 2014, 08:36 AM
    Just from a quick search for just one person on the airfare: you are looking about $400 for airfare (Miami to Oklahoma City... put in dates of 9 July to 13 July just for checking purposes... rates can change a bit depending on when you go and what days of the week you fly on) and $200 for a car once you are there. This was based off of a 5 day rental. If you didn't stay as long, it would obviously be less. Are you 25 or older? If not, you'd have to check on the car rental from individual companies. Often they won't rent to someone under 25.

Would your brother still be going with you if you flew there? If he is older than 25, he could rent the car in his name. If you did drive there, you could do it comfortably in about 3 days (of course that all depends on what you consider "comfortably")

Find out the dates that you need, decide how long you will be staying, and then start your search.

May 25, 2014, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Just from a quick search for just one person on the airfare: you are looking about $400 for airfare (Miami to Oklahoma City... put in dates of 9 July to 13 July just for checking purposes... rates can change a bit depending on when you go and what days of the week you fly on) and $200 for a car once you are there. This was based off a 5 day rental. If you didn't stay as long, it would obviously be less. Are you 25 or older? If not, you'd have to check on the car rental from individual companies. Often they won't rent to someone under 25.

Would your brother still be going with you if you flew there? If he is older than 25, he could rent the car in his name. If you did drive there, you could do it comfortably in about 3 days (of course that all depends on what you consider "comfortably")

Find out the dates that you need, decide how long you will be staying, and then start your search.
    Flying It will be only me.. My brother was optional if I decided to drive ONLY. I am 31. Based on what you provided I like the sound of those prices. 3 days ddriving LORD NO! My goal is to fly! Where can I find these numbers you found or where can I search. I am still waiting for her to give me dates but she stated it will be in July. I forgot to mention hotel stay maybe 3 days max. Cheapeast possible all I need is a shower bed and walls lol
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 25, 2014, 09:34 AM
    You need to make your reservations for a hotel now. The hotels fill up fast during boot camp graduations.

May 25, 2014, 09:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    You need to make your reservations for a hotel now. The hotels fill up fast during boot camp graduations.
    But that's the part that sucks I have no idea what dates to book for yet.
    Expert

May 25, 2014, 09:50 AM
    She should know her graduation date by now.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 25, 2014, 10:25 AM
    There are several sites on the net to check airfares and do package deals. Sites like Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Kayak, etc. You can even use Priceline or Hotel.com.

But J_9 is rights, she should know the dates by now and you need to make reservations ASAP for July.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 25, 2014, 10:32 AM
    July graduation hasn't been set yet. Here is a guide

Fort Sill Graduation Information - Welcome

Hotels near Fort Sill for Army Boot Camp Graduations
    Expert

May 25, 2014, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    That's unusual. They usually know the graduation date a month to a month and a half before the actual graduation day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of floor is safe from termites in Florida. [ 0 Answers ]

I have a mobile home in Florida and we just redid floor, wall etc. Tore every thing out and re did because it had termites now I want to lay a floor are lam. Floors safe? Or can you offer another idea besides capet? Thank you for your time.

Florida homestead exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Do I qualify for a homestead exemption if I am a part time resident in Florida.

Foreclosure and Florida homestead law [ 2 Answers ]

I am a Florida resident with seven investment properties, all but one with mortgages. I wish to homestead one of the properties and occupy it and homestead it. I am in arrears 1-2 months on its mortgage. If I homestead and occupy, can I avoid eviction? Realtors here say no... that the Flroida...

Can creditors from Florida levy against my homestead in Maryland? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought investment property in Florida and am being foreclosed on. If a judgment is obtained, can it be levied against my homested in Maryland?

Unsecured lien against Florida homestead [ 10 Answers ]

I have two liens/judgements against my (home), homestead, in Florida. Both of these are for overdue credit cards and have been turned over to collectors. Can I have these judgements removed? (I need to refinance). Is this a complicated process? Is it an expensive process? My understanding is that...

View more questions Search