Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

May 24, 2014, 10:31 AM
    Pump Pressure / Vacuuming Pool...
    Each year as we hookup the Backyard Pool for another Season we tweak the Process from the Previous Owner... We have a 24' Above Ground Pool with a Centre Drain.. Don't know why but the previous owner had a guard preventing the valve to be open all the way coming from the Skimmer( 2/3rds Open)... Previous seasons with Pump on doing it's thing through the Filter and all the pressure topped out at 10/11 lbs.. I removed the Guard and have the valve set so all avenues are open full.. Pressure tops out at 15+lbs.. Having said all this my Query is while Vacuuming the Pool what is a good reading for Pump Pressure to read while under load if you will?
    lilpoppa Posts: 118, Reputation: 13

Jun 9, 2014, 03:05 PM
    Pressure is going to be different depending on make of pump and type of filter/vacuum used. The previous owner likely had the guard on the valve to achieve optimal suction for a particular automatic vacuum. In my experience automatic vacuums can be very finicky and require a very specific amount of suction to operate well.
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Jun 10, 2014, 04:14 AM
    @lilpoppa.. Aside from switching to Quick Connects for all the Hoses.. I tend to Think having changed out the Silica Sand in the Filter Drum has given the Pump a boost of sorts being able to run better... According to the records kept at the local Pool Shop, the previous owner had the pool installed back 2004... Hence the silica sand coming out was a crusty beige color... After going through the Backwash & Vacuuming ritual and the Pump is running back in Filter Mode, the gauge will settle in at approximately 15 lbs. showing... As for the Guard, could be so..But we had changed from a 1/3 to 1/2 HP pump a couple years ago...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High pressure on pool pump [ 4 Answers ]

I have an above ground pool. When the filter is on the pressure usually stays around 30. Now it is registering as high as the gauge will go. I lost my manuals in Katrina. Can anyone help? Sorry.. the pressure usually stays at 15 now it is as high as it will register!

Why is the pump pressure high on my above ground pool? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the recommended pressure reading on a above ground pool with Hayward sand filter system? Is 20 too high?

New pool pump motor... low pressure low return flow [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a home with warranty,the pool motor and timer went out... repair company replaced the motor and internal timer mechanism... it is 1 horse 220 volt system... had an eplus motor on it and the pressure was about 10 to 12 pounds on the gauge and the return flow was obvious...

Pool Pump Pressure Low - Water Stream Weak [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old DoughBoy Pool system. The water flow is weak and sporadic whether it's on filter, backwash, pump to waste etc. :mad: Can these pumps be repaired? Or is there some technique I can try? I someone is at their PC today; It's a beautiful day in Grand Rapids. Thanks in advance for...

View more questions Search