Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Precious7 Posts: 333, Reputation: 61

May 23, 2014, 09:13 AM
    Critically appreciate?
    Hi there, I am trying to critically appreciate a small narrative passage, the problem is I know how to do critical analysis, but not sure what exactly write while critically appreciating a piece of narration. I have searched online and got a little idea but it was not helpful enough to put my thoughts into writing. So please can anyone explain me in a simple language what I need to write and look for while critically appreciating a piece of narration? Thanks in advance. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 23, 2014, 09:17 AM
    "Appreciate" means "like." What is the passage? Did you enjoy reading it? What did you like about it? How did the author express himself so that the reader became one with the narrative, was able to lose himself in the story?

Here is a link to "critically appreciate" a poem --

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Wri...oem&id=7113490

May 23, 2014, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    "Appreciate" means "like." What is the passage? Did you enjoy reading it? What did you like about it?
    Hi wondergirl, thanks for the reply, but I am a bit confused, are you asking me those question, or you are saying to me that I have to write about the things you've asked- the passage, whether I enjoyed reading it or not and what did I like about it..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 23, 2014, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Precious7 View Post
    Hi wondergirl, thanks for the reply, but I am a bit confused, are you asking me those question, or you are saying to me that I have to write about the things you've asked- the passage, whether I enjoyed reading it or not and what did I like about it..
    Did you look at the link I posted? There are several "critical appreciation" essays online but about poetry. Use them as a guide. What was the author of your narrative trying to do? How was he trying to reach his readers and through what literary devices? And yes, did you enjoy the piece -- and why? (but that is your subconscious motivation for writing your essay).

May 23, 2014, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Did you look at the link I posted? There are several "critical appreciation" essays online but about poetry. Use them as a guide. What was the author of your narrative trying to do? How was he trying to reach his readers and through what literary devices? And yes, did you enjoy the piece -- and why? (but that is your subconscious motivation for writing your essay).
    Yes, just now I looked at the link you've sent me, I have a story type narrative passage. I tried online too but same here, I just got explanation for poems not for a passage or story. But I feel, like whether its narrative poem or story, the process of appreciating them would be similar. Btw thanks for replying me. Have a good day. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 23, 2014, 08:05 PM
    You explain in details why you like the writing.

What style is the writing, narrative? Comparative? First person?
    You start with the style of writing, explain why you like that style of writing.

You explain using terms you have studied in class, why you enjoy and why the story has meaning to you.

You can not going to find a cut and paste answer online to use, you are going to have to tell in your words, why you like this piece of writing.

May 24, 2014, 04:15 PM
    @ Fr Chuck, Neither I asked for a "cut and paste online answers", Read my question carefully. I asked for the things I should look for while critically appreciating any paragraphs. Btw, Thanks for your answers though, now at least I know the things I have to look for, and now I can put my thoughts on the paper . :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Critically thinking [ 2 Answers ]

How does criticaually thinking help your reading,writing,procesing information

Critically low C disk driver. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I am continually getting this message whenever I try to continually or pretty much any task I perform... Low Disk Space Your windows drive has only 6MB of free disk space available. This is a critically low amount of disk space. System Restore has suspended tracking changes to...

Husband on probation and critically ill they still want him to hours [ 6 Answers ]

My honey is on prob a felony has kept up apointments paid his fees but I can not get help for him not to have to do his prob hours he has a dr stating he is disabled heart condition diabetic takes 17 meds daily they are considering him paying his 600 hours at minium wages:confused::confused:

Critically evaluate the flexible firm model. [ 1 Answers ]

Help me to do this assignment on flexible firm model...

View more questions Search