Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bandit69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2014, 08:18 AM
    Scotts 16/42 riding mower won't start
    I have a scotts 16/42 rider, when turning key I get nothing, I have already replaced ignition and the starter solenoid, still I get nothing. I have tested the brake safety switch and the deck safety switch with a multimeter and they test good. I am lost where can I look from here, every time I turn the key my head swells because it does nothing. I have also jumped the solenoid tractor turns fine but will not start, I think I am missing a safety somewhere, checked,seat,brake,mower deck, are there any others I'm missing or am I even on the right track
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

May 24, 2014, 04:51 AM
    Have you checked the fuse?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

May 24, 2014, 07:54 AM
    Hi,
    Should the above suggestion get you nowhere, then try tracing the +12V battery through its path. It should be at the key switch and then go through the various switches (when in the Start position) to the solenoid trigger terminal (small terminal with wire that is NOT black.) A Deere solenoid has a separate ground terminal, and do not nglect the thought that it could be a ground. If you can jump the solenoid, that pretty much eliminates the engine ground, though not fully if the engine mount bolts are loose. Did engine start when solenoid jumped and switch on?
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riding mower won't start. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a riding mower with a briggs and straton, I just replaced a bad starter on it when I go to crankit it will make verry slow rotations on the flywheel. The starter (pos) wire heats up verry quickly to the point of melting the plastic ins cover. The tank was full of gas I went out approx 3days...

Riding mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a craftsman riding mower. It was working fine and then it shut off because the blades became jamed with too much grass. I cleared the problem and now it won't start. I have replaced the battery and plug. It cranks and sometimes backfires but it won't turn over.

John Deer Riding Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have a John Deer Riding Lawn Mower LX 173. It won't start. It ran fine last fall and I have a new battery on it. It will start with the help of starting fluid and run for just a second and then shut off. I found a hose disconnected on it but I'm not sure where it goes. It was laying...

Riding mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I started the mower, MTD Yardman 17.5 hp B&S, cut the lawn and put it away. I tried to start it a couple days later and it wouldn't start. I did not even get a "click" from the starter solenoid. I was able to jump start it with a portable jump pack. After turning it off it would not start. I...

View more questions Search