Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pioji Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2014, 11:05 AM
    Can DNA testing be done from two different countries?
    My uncle lived in another country years ago, now some guys is saying its his son. Can they get a dna test long distance? Or does my uncle have to flight out there?

May 22, 2014, 11:09 AM
    Can an adopted kid, get rights?
    Can an adopted over 18 kid, get rights, money a last name over the biological father who never knew he existed?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 22, 2014, 11:10 AM
    Your uncle doesn't have to fly anywhere... they are making the accusations... they will have to file through the courts... the courts if they find cause will order them to go to a local lab to had them done and the results will be retained within the court system... and forwarded. Private DNA testing isn't admissible due to chain of custody issues... meaning either the sample or the results could be altered.
    Uber Member

May 22, 2014, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pioji View Post
    Can an adopted over 18 kid, get rights, money a last name over the biological father who never knew he existed?
    It all depends on where you live. Most places you have no "rights" to anything if there is a will that leaves you nothing. Particularly since upon adoption all legal rights of either side pertaining to each other are severed...

But again... laws vary... and the world is a very big place... What country and even what state you live would be needed before a more specific answer can be given.

May 22, 2014, 11:15 AM
    Thank you. This kid is 18 and he only wants to know who his father is, I think he was adopted, somehow he found his biological mother and she told him about my uncle. But his not even sure this is his son u know?
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Your uncle doesn't have to fly anywhere... they are making the accusations... they will have to file through the courts... the courts if they find cause will order them to go to a local lab to had them done and the results will be retained within the court system... and forwarded. Private DNA testing isn't admissible due to chain of custody issues... meaning either the sample or the results could be altered.
    Uber Member

May 22, 2014, 11:22 AM
    At 18, then the suspected father can't be compelled to even take the test... If they were adopted out... they certainly can't be compelled.

Some might do it willingly.. because there are no legal issues involved... if the interested party would be willing to pay for the testing, and the suspected father would be willing to take the test... then private test could be done.

That really does make a huge differnce because most times someone is trying to track down a parent for child support issues... which being they are already an adult, can't be claimed in this case. For those cases it would need to be done through a court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 22, 2014, 01:25 PM
    An adoption effectively severs any legal attachment between the bio parent and the child. Your legal parents are now your adoptive parents. I don't know anywhere that would give you inheritance rights to a bio parent's estate.

What rights are you looking for?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 22, 2014, 02:20 PM
    pioji, I have merged your threads to keep the information and advice together because they are dealing with the same issue. You can continue to ask questions and give more information, if needed, in this thread.

Thank you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 22, 2014, 03:56 PM
    Can they get a dna test long distance?
    Yes. As I understand it,a saliva swab is taken from each person, and the swabs are sent to the lab. But, as Smoothy indicates, if it is to be used in court there are chain-of-custody considerations.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2014, 05:38 PM
    It can be done from two countries.

1. the rules will depend on if there is court action. Non approved procedure or labs would not be legal ( or stand up in court)

2. just for knowledge, it is a easy test, and the possible "father could pick the lab and have it done to their satisfaction.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 27, 2014, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    An adoption effectively severs any legal attachment between the bio parent and the child. Your legal parents are now your adoptive parents. I don't know anywhere that would give you inheritance rights to a bio parent's estate.

What rights are you looking for?
    It depends on adoption.
    Example:
    MA Uniform Probate Code Section 2-114
    a) Except as provided in subsection (b), for purposes of intestate succession by, through, or from a person, an individual is the child of his natural parents, regardless of their marital status. The parent and child relationship may be established under applicable state law. (b) An adopted individual is the child of his adopting parent or parents and not of his natural parents, but adoption of a child by the spouse of either natural parent has no effect on the right of the child or a descendant of the child to inherit from or through either natural parent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dna testing [ 1 Answers ]

I had a DNA test done recently and the man I had tested turned out not to be the father , if that's the case then why are we going back to court?

DNA Testing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm 42 yrs old, I want to know how I'd go about getting court ordered DNA testing done to force my supposed to be father to do the test so he won't botch the test and the truth can come out? He says he's not my dad, my mother says he is. He is married to my mothers sister and was when he...

Dna testing [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a dna test you can get done while you are pregnant

Dna testing [ 2 Answers ]

If I just found out that I might have a child, can I get a court ordered dna test and is there a time frame to get it done?

DNA Testing [ 1 Answers ]

My ex is listed as the father of my daughter on her birth cretificate... can I request a DNA test and if it is proven that she is not his can anything be donw to me cause she is not his?

View more questions Search