Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    russ1138 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Intel computer stuck in POST boot loop
    Hi all,

Thanks for checking out my problem. I built an Intel D865GBF desktop computer. Initiallaly installed Windows XP sp 1 and all was fine. When Windows XP SP 2 was available I update to it. Everything was running fine for over 2 years, then we got the dreaded BSOD, upon reboot we see the Intel Logo during POST then a black screen then this behavior repeats until we turn it off. During this POST cycle the Floppy, DVD, and HD lights appear to be checking for boot media but nothing happens. I am able to boot to a 98 boot disk, usless since my XP is in NTFS, a Windows XP CD, however recovery console requires the Administrator password and it's been lost. (Also tried to use a Windows XP-PE boot CD with Locksmith, changed the Windows Administrator password and returned to recovery console to be denied access. Tried this twice) The really strange thing is there's no error message, like "NT Loader not found" I've researched Intels website and tried resetting the BIOS without success. Also the utility CD that had Locksmith could see the unbootable hard drive and all its data and user names, and the BIOS also registers the SATA hard drives model number. (I think it's a Seagate) Any other Ideas out there?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 4, 2007, 03:52 PM
    A coupld of things come to mind.
    This sounds like the HDD is fried, hence no boot.
    Couple of things I'd try;
    1/ If the data is important to you the throw in another HDD as master, set the current to slave and go from there.
    OR
    2/ Nuke the current drive and start over.

Apr 4, 2007, 04:00 PM
    CurlyB,

1) the HDD isn't fried I can use a boot CD to view all it's files. The MBR maybe corrupt but why no error message during post?
    2) SATA hard drives have no Slave or Master or even jumpers
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 4, 2007, 07:36 PM
    Can you get into the BIOS? F11? F12? F2? If there is an option, disable the Intel boot logo, to view the boot messages.

Boot to dos from the Windows 98 disk.

Type fdisk to confirm that Windows 98 recognizes the drive.

Type "fdisk /mbr"

That will write a new mbr to the boot drive.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 4, 2007, 10:53 PM
    Russ, interesting that you disagree as I gave some valid ideas.
    OK so fried may of not been the best word, I meant that the OS has gone TU.
    If this was an MBR issue or even Boot sector (fixboot), then it would BSoD rather than what you are experiencing.

Have you tried a Repair Install of the OS.
    Problem here is you may need an XP SP 2 disc as you have already updated.

Here's the official Micro$oft way of doing it,
    And Here's one with screen shots.

Apr 6, 2007, 07:48 PM
    SOLUTION: Installed new SATA 200g hard drive, installed clean copy of Windows XP SP2. Updated all and reinstalled applications. Re-connected the old hard drive with the missing master boot record and retieved data to new drive. When the old drive is picked clean, I'll setup Raid 0 to mirror the new Widnows installation as an additional backup measure. Many Thanks!
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 6, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    A coupld of things come to mind.
    This sounds like the HDD is fried, hence no boot.
    Couple of things I'd try;
    1/ If the data is important to you the throw in another HDD as master, set the current to slave and go from there.
    OR
    2/ Nuke the current drive and start over.
    Looks like you hit the nail on the head and got a red for it.

Sorry that have to spread it around lol -- Savage
    francisxo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 06:14 AM
    I have the same issue with D865GBF. It hangs and that's the end of it.. will be required to switch off and switch on.
    First and foremost if the sys hang takes place while in windows we have a frozen display
    Try switching off and switching on, the processor seems to be running, the harddisk too but the post screen does not show up on the screen.. so the issue should either be that there is a conflict with the display.. well that was easy

But how to get thro it.. I don't know...
    Shall post my findings soon
    francisxo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 10:23 AM
    D865GBF hangs randomly. I could happen at Bios or while loading OS or even while working on the OS. Sometimes it works for a very long time 10 to 24 hours
    Many a times when the comp is switched on, the processor spins, the HDD seeks but no beeps no display no seek on USB.
    After days of struggle I conclude that the Issue happens much before Bios/post.

Try this. Remove the memory, leave only the Motherboard and processor and start the system
    The system should run the post and check for Memory, when the post does not detect the Memory then it should ideally give 2 beeps and shut down. The processor fan should stop
    But if you notice the processor fan keeps running, no beep
    No beep means that the BIOs did not initiate the post.
    The processor Fan should switch off and the motherboard should shut down, if it doesn't then there is just one logical conclusion
    The thermal sensor, senses extrem Heat and hence keeps the processor fan ON
    The thermal sensor may may be faulty, or better still it may be giving us the right temp reading, then what is causing the processor to heat up...
    Now I use a 2.4Ghz Intel processor... is the processor faulty, are some capasitors faulty and generating this extrem heat

But then the Board is supposed to operate at 57 C at least
    So Try touching the heat sink at this time... and you will find that the heat sink is surely not even close to 20 C

And that brings us to Just one thing... Faulty motherboard ( faulty component) may be the thermal sensor is blown...
    Who can answer this
    Intel will not...
    By now All D865GBF would have run out of Warranty
    so Intel just don't have to be interested in this issue anymore.. even if they knew they would not acknowledge..
    they got your money...

But for those who are interested in pinpointing the issue please post your findings...

Intel needs to understand that it should have proactively withdrawn the product from the market and replace all motherboards but it did not...

One more finding... eachtime you change the thermal paste/Silica the comp may not have start up issues... it will after some time... at random that is

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to re-boot my computer [ 13 Answers ]

I really want to re-boot my computer and start fresh... any suggestions on how to re-boot it because I have no clue... :confused:

Can not boot my computer [ 2 Answers ]

Ntldr don't know what happened but my d drive with my windows xp changed to h Now when boot it says no ntldr Need big help

Computer Won't Boot Up [ 13 Answers ]

Whenever I switch my computer on it begins the startup and at best gets to the Windows XP logo and then the screen just goes black. This is the furthest it gets and most times won't even get there. If I go into BIOS the same thing happens. Any Ideas?

My computer will not boot up [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and have encountered a problem with my computer I was installing Norton Security 2007. I had installed it all and was finishing off with a full system scan - the computer simply stopped and crashed. I tried everything to switch it off without just pressing the button -...

View more questions Search