Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MelanieRay Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2014, 09:26 AM
    Can a dog defend itself with a halti collar on?
    This morning while I was walking with my dog, a neighbor stopped to warn me about another dog and its owner being attacked by a big dog on the trail we use. He went on to tell me the dog is seen often at night (we walk early mornings but,I'm still taking the warning seriously). He also suggested I take off her head collar so she could defend herself if it came to that.
    My dogs head is small. I use collars strictly to hang her credentials. She slips them easily. She can back right out of one attached to a leash. We trained to walk with the halti and I feel safer knowing I can hang onto her if she startles or if she sees something she wants to chase.
    She has some spikes ill put on her next time we go out. Im also sure I can find a stick or something to carry along with us as well. Do you all think that the head collar is putting her at a greater risk?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 21, 2014, 10:18 AM
    Do you mean the haltie? As long as it is not obstructing her mouth, should she need her teeth and freedom to defend you and herself. I would not suggest a stick, other dog will see this as a threat. A collar around her neck would not make a difference.

What do you mean spikes ? The collar to deter pulling ? What good would that do ? Sorry for all of the questions.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 21, 2014, 10:39 AM
    If you are in an area where pepper spray is legal, I would purchase a can of that.
    MelanieRay Posts: 70, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2014, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Do you mean the haltie? As long as it is not obstructing her mouth, should she need her teeth and freedom to defend you and herself. I would not suggest a stick, other dog will see this as a threat. A collar around her neck would not make a difference.

What do you mean spikes ? The collar to deter pulling ? What good would that do ? Sorry for all of the questions.
    I meant a spiked collar to defend her neck. The boys bought it so she looked scarier. All it did was stab us when she cuddled. I thought I could put it on when we do all the other dog walking stuff
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 21, 2014, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MelanieRay View Post
    I meant a spiked collar to defend her neck. The boys bought it so she looked scarier. All it did was stab us when she cuddled. I thought I could put it on when we do all the other dog walking stuff
    Ah, yes, now I getcha. But unlikely to scare another dog, but it would eliminate a neck bite. I sincerely hope you don't run into this, and your next outings are pleasant !

But, if something happens, let us know, too.

Odinn's suggestion is good !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog gets out of collar [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 1 and 1/2 year old american pitbull terrier. She is an outside dog (ive tried to convert her inside but she is not potty trained, and has no interest! and she chews everything! My problem with her is she pulls off every collar i put on her. ive always bought her the "TRADITIONAL" dog...

Dog keeps slipping harness and collar [ 4 Answers ]

I have a medium size terrier / black lab mix about 6 or 7 years old. He is still very active and is pretty strong. We recently moved to a new house but unfortunately the yard is not totally fenced in which means our dogs have to be tied out. They do not like to potty we are holding their leashes so...

Dog collar sizes [ 4 Answers ]

We all know that a dog's collar should fit snuggly, but with enough room to allow two fingers to slip underneath it. But where on the dog's neck do you measure that? Trink's got a roughly triangular neck. If the collar is tight up by the ears, she will choke if it slides down her neck. And if...

Help!dog Slipping Out Of Collar! [ 13 Answers ]

My pomeranian/yorkshire terrier dog - Baby (whom I rescued, as she was beaten & kept in a cage all of her life!) sometimes & somehow, slips out of the collar, & it is very frightening for me, (because 4 yrs.later, I still "work" with her 24hrs.a day, & there is a chance that at that moment she may...

Dog collar [ 1 Answers ]

What is the coneicalcollar that is put around a dogs neck?

View more questions Search