Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smsws5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2014, 08:43 AM
    What would make a landline phone ring with cancelled service
    Our landline phone service has been disconnected since Oct 2012. We also cancelled ADT which was thorough our phone line at the same time. Our phone rang until answered on 05/15/2014 at 9am and again on 05/19/2014 at 845pm. There is only silence on the other end (dead)... contacted Century Link they can't explain this. When our phone rings it also rings in through our ADT control panel. Any thoughts on why this is happening? I keep the phone connected to the jack because I don't like the looks of the exposed jack on my kitchen wall.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 20, 2014, 08:48 AM
    Years ago when we moved to where I live now, the phone would ring and there would be nobody on the line. We figured someone was giving us crank calls. Eventually it got to the point where you would pick up the phone and could hear someone talking to someone else. The phone company finally discovered that there was a problem in their switching box (don't know the technical term) up the road. Our line was crossed with someone else somehow but it was only enough to spike the ringer when they would get a call and then got to where we could hear them but not clearly. As it turns out, when our phone rang, theirs did too.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 20, 2014, 09:30 AM
    Party line (telephony) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its quite common, and removing the cord from the phone jack will stop the annoying ringing until the phone company can resolve this issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suddenly, one phone jack will not support landline ring. [ 3 Answers ]

I have three landline phones and one phone number. One is a plug-in answering machine connected to jack #1 (closest to the incoming line from the phone company). All three rang until recently when the phone in jack #3 did not ring; the others ring fine. I thought the phone in jack #3 was bad...

Why does landline phone do short ring and then connect immediately? [ 1 Answers ]

Why does landline phone do very short ring and immediately connect to the call.? can talk if hear the beep, and can dial out with no problems. It is like someone picks it up immediately

My landline phone will ring in one time and then the caller hears static. [ 3 Answers ]

If I try to call my landline phone it rings once and goes to static, I can call out just fine and my DSL is working. I have checked the pole plug outside and it rings in and out, I unhooked one line and tried again and the problem is still there. I have checked to make sure all connections are good...

How to configure office landline phone exchange for mobile phone calling [ 1 Answers ]

We have DLT TC-416 telephone exchange switch in our office. We have 2 phone lines connected i.e. PHONE-LINE1 & PHONE-LINE2 and 6 telephones are connected inside the office. I want to configure it such that all the mobile phone calls e.g. 03331234567 which start from digit 0 (zero) should...

Alternative Landline Phone Service in the Upper Midwest of the United States [ 22 Answers ]

Hi, All! My current landline phone service provider is Mediacom. Have always had trouble with that service since switching to them a couple of years ago. Their service burns out the connections in the junction box in my basement and the service department is next to impossible to get a hold of...

View more questions Search