where have all the people gone?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 18, 2014, 07:01 PM
    Alien abduction?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 19, 2014, 03:26 AM
    Other places. Other websites. Other non-web activities.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 19, 2014, 07:31 AM
    Solar flares did them all in: Where Have All the People Gone (TV Movie 1974) - IMDb
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2014, 07:34 AM
    Some (and I only know much, and still not a whole lot about the original) but some may have gotten tired of trying to figure our how to get to current questions and even if they did figure it out, they may have determined that they didn't want to do it every time. If I remember correctly, before the changes were made, I would click on my AMHD bookmark, and then click ANSWER and I was there at the questions. It took me a while to find the "new posts" button and get back to the two step process to get to new questions. I was using about a 4 step process to get there.
    But I didn't give much consideration to moving on because I am an addict and have been for almost 7 years now.
    During all that transition, I tried the vgo several times but I had a lot more problems and kept coming back to the old.
    And during that same time frame, statements were made that a lot of effort would not be put into fixing bugs in the original skin. So,some like me (old fogeys) may have concluded that they couldn't operate in vgo, and that the bugs in the original weren't going to be fixed (seems to me the bugs have been fixed) so they decided it wasn't worth the trouble.
    I have tried some other sites and they s*ck, plus I don't get my fix and start having withdrawal symptoms.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2014, 04:34 PM
    a likely explanation and here I was thinking something sereul like the rapture or we had reached the point were we didn't even want to post BORING!, hey there is an echo in here. My mouse has taken leave of its senses today or maybe its me, but I'm getting fed up with logging in, this site doesn't even remember me anymore, perhaps that's what happened, they are all shut out and find it too much trouble
    Uber Member

May 19, 2014, 05:13 PM
    I was hoping we'd get stories from people when they were on a bender talking about aliens abducting them from the trailer park and probing all their orifices.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 19, 2014, 05:17 PM
    It has been dead the past few months. Used to be if I went 12 hours without logging in, I would have at least a page and a half, usually more, to look through. Now, most of the time it's not even half a page. We're dying a slow death here on AMHD for some reason.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 19, 2014, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I was hoping we'd get stories from people when they were on a bender talking about aliens abducting them from the trailer park and probing all their orifices.
    Nah, they've all become snooty vegans too good to deal with the likes of us.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/nutrit...ed-792399.html
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2014, 06:02 PM
    Well there it is; the aliens have taken over. Smoothy will be happy; he can have his orifices probed
    Uber Member

May 19, 2014, 06:05 PM
    I don't want mine probed... I get a chuckle about drunks talking about aliens probing theirs while under the influence... as if that wasn't enough to get them to give up the bottle after the first occurrence.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 20, 2014, 05:39 PM
    The "people" have been stolen. Thats just a theory I have running right now. I have noticed a change in the bots/spiders that visit here and the majority (98%) are from a chinese website that is google's competitor in China. I am thinking they have stolen the spaces afforded to legitimate seach engine spiders like Google, Yahoo and Bing. Just to name a few. So if they can't get in here they in effect dont know what exists. To me it drives traffic away and is a boon to the Chinese for the information that is provided by this site. They appear to be mining it very heavily.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 20, 2014, 07:21 PM
    See, part of the liberal agenda, spear headed by Communism to silence the voice of truth.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 20, 2014, 08:33 PM
    Did you not get the memo? Godzilla is back! There are widespread power outages, cities and towns have been devoured by Mothra!
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2014, 11:31 PM
    what you are saying is japcrap is back, those peope are obscessed with radio activity, I wonder why
    Uber Member

May 21, 2014, 03:44 AM
    The site just isn't engaging, there's no way to monetize it to make it worthwhile so developers spend no time on it, shifted to other projects. Pretty standard stuff.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 21, 2014, 03:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    The site just isn't engaging, there's no way to monetize it to make it worthwhile so developers spend no time on it, shifted to other projects. Pretty standard stuff.
    This site makes money. Even as low as the count has been it is still making money. I still think it is the bots that have taken over and it is my belief they should be banned from the site (the Chinese bots) as we don't get much traffic if at all from China yet we do the rest of the world.

I vote for banning them and lets see if this place turns around.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2014, 04:16 AM
    Bots don't kill real people from finding, joining, and staying on the site. The downturn not due to any outside hackers or alien abduction, it's just not engaging enough for visitors to stay.. unless you count the traffic from India.

Here's some stats: askmehelpdesk.com Site Overview
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2014, 06:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    What isn't engaging is the standard of the discussion, a lot of it is the same tired rhetoric or just crapping on
    Uber Member

May 21, 2014, 06:57 AM
    So true in 'Current Events'. Some of the other forums have recurring themes as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

Management Accounts Question: Variance Question? [ 0 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I'm having. The Q is as follows; McCauleys Ltd uses a standard costing system and has produced the following production information for the month of June 2010. Standard Actual Sales (units) 10,000 10,000 Sales price per unit £30 £32...

Pregnancy question 14 dpo question about symptoms [ 1 Answers ]

Im 14 days dpo and have been having twinges and fluttering in my uterus. I had sex a couple of days before I ovulated and while I was ovulating. Could I be pregnant?

To submit a question, where is the Question Template to be found? [ 5 Answers ]

When I attempt to print a hard copy from mail received, via my INBOX. The following error template appears... Internet Explorer Script Error Line : 2021 Char : 1 Error : Unspecified Code : 0 URL : ...

View more questions Search