Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

May 21, 2014, 10:12 AM
    The "people" have been stolen. Thats just a theory I have running right now. I have noticed a change in the bots/spiders that visit here and the majority (98%) are from a chinese website that is google's competitor in China. I am thinking they have stolen the spaces afforded to legitimate seach engine spiders like Google, Yahoo and Bing. Just to name a few. So if they can't get in here they in effect dont know what exists. To me it drives traffic away and is a boon to the Chinese for the information that is provided by this site. They appear to be mining it very heavily.
    Like here:https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/active...ll-789903.html

Has anything been asked/mentioned to Admin? What's the deal? It is not just slow - it is DEAD.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 21, 2014, 10:34 AM
    I stay logged in and although it is a little slower, I manage to find as much pleasure in it as I used to. Smoothy seems to do pretty good too.

After eight years here, not ready to throw in the towel !
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 21, 2014, 10:41 AM
    The BOT thing really is important... if the Google, Bing and Yahoo Bots don't get here... the site will make a huge drop on search engine results. I don't think the chinese bots are really crowding them out... because that would effectively be a DNS type attack and people wouldn't be able to get in at all, which I haven't seen happen. I've always gotten in without problem. Except for the few times there were database errors that crashed the site the last few months.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 21, 2014, 10:48 AM
    The Google crawlers are indexing the site just fine, I just did a test.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2014, 11:09 AM
    Lot of websites see a seasonal dropoff at certain points of the year also... spring and summer tend to be low spots as people are doing other things away from the computer. Even discounting that there are ebbs and tides even from year to year. At least on the specialty sites, those are more hobbiest oriented... I don't know if the commercial online stores see the same sorts of seasonal variations (beyond Christmas).
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 21, 2014, 11:28 AM
    You guys sound lonely, so visit some of the other forums. Even the plumbers are answering pregnancy questions.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2014, 11:30 AM
    I avoid most of those... I lose faith in the future of humanity reading some of the stupidity on a lot of those threads.

Procreation like driving a car should require passing a test to show basic knowledge before you are allowed behind the wheel. But then, who would live in trailer parks, and work at Walmart?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 21, 2014, 11:33 AM
    Lot of websites see a seasonal dropoff at certain points of the year also... spring and summer tend to be low spots as people are doing other things away from the computer.
    The Alexa link I posted shows a steady decline in traffic/ranking over the years.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2014, 11:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    The Alexa link I posted shows a steady decline in traffic/ranking over the years.
    That pretty much discounts specific events then. Like the upgrades and skin issues from being at fault.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 21, 2014, 11:40 AM
    It all took a drastic drop-off it seems when the new updates were done.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2014, 11:42 AM
    I didn't think that much time had passed since that was done... but maybe it has. If that peak was right before the upgrades. When was that exactly... I don't remember.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 21, 2014, 11:52 AM
    I don't recall when it all happened. All I do remember about it was that when it happened and we were having the problems, I kept wondering when the traffic was going to get back to normal and it just seems that it hasn't ever gone back to how it was before the updates.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 21, 2014, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    The Google crawlers are indexing the site just fine, I just did a test.

It looks like the spider population is back to normal. The Baidu Spiders have a secondary spot now and not the primary one they had been at. They were occupying 98% of allocated bot space squeezing out the rest. Now lets see if there is a difference in search engine results.
    Expert

May 21, 2014, 01:21 PM
    Would the keywords or wording you use in the search engine be a big factor in this site coming up near the top? When I copy paste the OP questions we always are near the top, but not so much when I type just a part of the question.
    Internet Research Expert

May 21, 2014, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Would the keywords or wording you use in the search engine be a big factor in this site coming up near the top? When I copy paste the OP questions we always are near the top, but not so much when I type just a part of the question.
    A lot of it depends on the ranking for the page. How relevent is it to what is being asked. Then google rates it and that is how the position in the search engine is determined.

Google uses a formula for making the ranking and it has to have that information first.
    Expert

May 21, 2014, 02:47 PM
    Thanks dad, could you elaborate on the formula a bit and don't forget how dense I am on most things. Please no hard head jokes, I'm sensitive, :D
    Internet Research Expert

May 21, 2014, 03:56 PM
    The actual formula is a secret. They do that to keep sites from tweaking to get to the top of the list without actually being valid to the point. Here are some links that are an easy read to help you understand "How Stuff Works".

The Google Search Engine Formula.

Google Overhauls Search Engine Formula
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 21, 2014, 04:44 PM
    It used to be that I'd leave for an hour, come back, and not only have updates on every thread I had posted on, but pages of new questions.

Now I can leave for days, come back, have one or two updates on threads I posted on, and 5 or six new questions since the last time I posted.

Sad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

Management Accounts Question: Variance Question? [ 0 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I'm having. The Q is as follows; McCauleys Ltd uses a standard costing system and has produced the following production information for the month of June 2010. Standard Actual Sales (units) 10,000 10,000 Sales price per unit £30 £32...

Pregnancy question 14 dpo question about symptoms [ 1 Answers ]

Im 14 days dpo and have been having twinges and fluttering in my uterus. I had sex a couple of days before I ovulated and while I was ovulating. Could I be pregnant?

To submit a question, where is the Question Template to be found? [ 5 Answers ]

When I attempt to print a hard copy from mail received, via my INBOX. The following error template appears... Internet Explorer Script Error Line : 2021 Char : 1 Error : Unspecified Code : 0 URL : ...

View more questions Search