Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benony Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2014, 01:59 AM
    Engine design
    I want to design an engine but I don't know where to start. I've looked around the internet but they only show how they work and not how their designs were arrived at. Someone please point me in the right direction... a book, website anything
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 18, 2014, 02:41 AM
    You won't find any designs for engines. Most engines that have been designed are protected by a patent that is renewed every 50 years. You will have to pick someone's brain and arrive at a completely new design.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 19, 2014, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Most engines that have been designed are protected by a patent that is renewed every 50 years.
    Not quite true. Patents are valid for 20 years max from date of filing, not 50, and after that they cannot be renewed. But it is true that engine design is proprietary, so not generally available. Just as you can't find design information for an Apple iPhone on line, you won't find plans for the Corvette LT4 6.2-liter supercharged V8 engine on line either.

It might help if you explained what your goal is here. Furst - what kind of engine are you interested in (model airplane, weed trimmer, lawn mower, garden tractor, automobile, truck, aircraft, space shuttle)? If it's for the automobile industry -are you looking for info on how basic parameters are arrived at, such as number of cylinders, displacement, naturally-aspirated versus turbo or supercharger? Much of those decisions are market driven, based on the parameters of the car that the engine is going into. Clearly the goals for an engine in a Prius are very different from the goals for an engine in a freightliner truck - parameters such as power, fuel economy, available space in the vehicle, weight considerations, and manufacturing cost all drive these decisions. Or are you truly looking to design an engine from scratch, with plans suitable for manufacture - engine block, pistons & rods, cam shaft(s) crank shaft, lifters, cooling, oil, turbo/supercharger. etc? If you have a design firm available with 10-15 engineers, plus a few million dollars for prototypes, tooling, testing, CAD software, test labs, etc you could probably have it done in a few years time.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 19, 2014, 07:40 AM
    Do you have the educational back ground for such an endeavor or the experience that would guide you? Design requires many calculations. Can you do that?

Here's a sight,

How to Design an Automotive Engine | eHow

There is much advanced knowledge you need unless you are some kind of genius.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scholarship for the course of fashion design or interior design [ 2 Answers ]

hi guys I'm angelica,student in Ateneo De Naga University in the Philippines. I would just like to ask if there is available scholarship for the course of fashion design or interior design?I would like to apply since it is my long dream to become a fashion designer and/or interior designer but...

I have heard that contextual design is a great design methodology. However, I am al [ 0 Answers ]

I have heard that contextual design is a great design methodology. However, I am also hearing discussion of design thinking. Are these design methodologies different or similar. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Sears Craftsman lawn mower, honda engine, engine starts then shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

Mower starts on first pull then dies when choke returns to normal. Mower has only been used twice

Plastic Product design, Mold design, Plastics, [ 2 Answers ]

What are all the precautions needs to be taken during Nylon molding?

View more questions Search