Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jedb1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2014, 11:33 AM
    Unpaid debt
    I am holding a private mortgage from the sale of some land. The mortgagor has stopped making payments. They have agreed to give back the property if I forgive the balance of the debt plus pay them $1k. Do I have to pay taxes on the unpaid balance of the loan.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 15, 2014, 12:45 PM
    Run this by your accountant, but I don't see why you would have to. You didn't receive that amount.

Be careful about a deed in lieu of foreclosure. If someone acquired an interest in the property subsequent to your mortgage (such as a lien, etc.), you could wind up junior to that interest and would have to pay it off to regain clear title.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2014, 03:57 PM
    Why would you want to do this rather than foreclose? It may be cheaper for you, $1K vs lawyer fees for the foreclosure. But if you go for the foreclosure they will still owe the balance.

If you do this, make sure you do a title search and require a warranty deed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Icbc unpaid debt [ 3 Answers ]

I was hit by a drunk driver in 2004 and having no witnesses I was wrongly accused of causing the accident and fined 1000 dollars which I refused to pay as I was wrongly accused. Now the debt has risen with interest to a huge amount. Does the statute of limitations apply to this debt after 8 years?

Debt unpaid [ 0 Answers ]

Hi.. I'm from Canada.. I just want to ask if the government could deny me my passport (I need a renewal) due to unpaid debts in the past (I haven't been able to pay them up to now). I don't even know if I already have a judgement to appear in court.. HELP !

Unpaid debt [ 1 Answers ]

I just got summoned by First Resolution Management Corp. for an upaid debt. I have moved since the credit card company has I guess contacted them. I haven't been receiving my mail because it was at my parents house. I called and set up a payment plan with them to get a certain amount taken out of...

View more questions Search